Forums

Do woman Enjoy Chess

Sort:
batgirl

Meaning many IMs have GMs as firsts?

Elubas
uhohspaghettio wrote:
Elubas wrote:

Calling someone a nerd is an attempt to argue that it is a disadvantage to have a more sophisticated, less simple, more mature mind. Personally, I've never been convinced.

Nerdiness is the anti-thesis of sophisticated. "less simple" is arguable since it depends on whether or not you designate all intelligence as being in books or not. "more mature" also isn't accurate. Sure you can have less mature nerds, think of the 30-something year old nerds who still act like a teenager. 

I have never heard of nerd being used for "more sophisticated". 

People like to use the word "nerd" instead of "more sophisticated" because... well which one sounds more attractive to a bully? Smile

Granted, it does vary. But I think I'm more of that "sophisticated nerd" rather than the "comic book nerd" as I'm not into any geeky characters or anything. There are many types, but smart, sophisticated people are definitely among those with the label. Philosophical types, for instance, have a very deep, though sometimes conceited, way of thinking about things and if a person feels threatened by it, or, just as plausible, if they don't understand it, calling them a nerd remains as a weapon/reaction.

blueridgeblonde

It is interesting.  When women vs. men were studied in their style as warriors it was found that 95% of male behavior is one-up-manship.  Males are constantly in mock battles amongst themselves.  Females on the other were primarily social  In general they are more peace-oriented.  They try to work together for the sake of the whole.  In those instances where it is clear to a woman that she is cornered however and there is no chance of a mutual gain she does not hesitate to go for the jugular.  For a female warrior fighting is not a game.  It is a necessary evil and if undertaken the victory is decisive and swift!  Hence the fear amongst males for females.  Though generally not in warrior mode - when they are they work together and go for the kill fully and without hesitation .  

And of course there are always exceptions to the rules - but who doesn't know that?

batgirl

close.

qixel

Quite honestly, I do hate chess (I even talk about that on my profile page), but I still can't stop playing the bloody game every day.

Confused,
Amy 

Musikamole

Watch kindergarten children on the playground. This will clear up any confusion regarding why most females prefer NOT to play chess.

Simply put, little girls like to talk when they play Barbie, while boys make crash - bang - explosion sounds with legos. Chess is a NO talking game. Great for boys, pure torture for girls, in general, of course. :)

Natalia_Pogonina

Guess it depends, just like with men. The problem is that relatively few women get exposed to chess.

1shtar

Only when i win..

1shtar

some of us are old enought to be his mother.. soo ooooo gross..

ChessSponge

The biggest problem with topics like this is many people take it as either an attack or that it means all or nothing.

Different genders, different ages, different nationalities, different education backgrounds, etc etc etc. All have things that skew higher or lower in the interest ranges/jobs/etc. in those groups.

Yes, more men play chess on a tournament/competitive level than women. Just as more men play poker on a serious/competitive level (I use those terms as they can be measured by attendance at tournaments so it could be proven/disproven, however I do believe it applies to casual play as well). They just happen to be two games that skew higher with men than with women. Just like anything else though, there are great women players just like there are great men players.

The OP seemed to be more curious as to why the difference in amounts might exist even though he didn't quite phrase it in that way.

batgirl

I'm mostly curious how a sponge can play chess.

ClavierCavalier
qixel wrote:

Quite honestly, I do hate chess (I even talk about that on my profile page), but I still can't stop playing the bloody game every day.

Confused,
Amy 

That's how I feel about piano practice, especially something that's hard and requires a lot of slow, methodical practice.  I love actually playing the instrument once I do learn those hard parts, which makes all of the hours worth it.

ClavierCavalier
Musikamole wrote:

Watch kindergarten children on the playground. This will clear up any confusion regarding why most females prefer NOT to play chess.

Simply put, little girls like to talk when they play Barbie, while boys make crash - bang - explosion sounds with legos. Chess is a NO talking game. Great for boys, pure torture for girls, in general, of course. :)

Boys can't do those loud explosions at chess, at least without getting strange stares.  Try making battle noises at a chess club, and crying out when your pieces are captured next time you go to a chess club.  :-p

ChessSponge
batgirl wrote:

I'm mostly curious how a sponge can play chess.

By absorbing what is around it and squeezing it back out all over the chess board.

Bat wings must make it difficult though, they must knock over a lot of pieces when trying to move one.

electricpawn

You guys sound like a bunch of circle jerking dorks trying to figure out what women are like - and that's being charitable.

batgirl

I played a guy once who would reach for the piece he was going to move in a very dramatic, overacting sort of way and put in down in the same manner.  The more threatening he seemed to think the move, the more dramatic the picking up, setting down motion picking it up over his head and plopping it down with a satisfying thud.  It was kind of comical, kind of annoying, but at the time I thought, very boyish.

dahal32

No girl that I have met in my country has a least interest in chess!

electricpawn
Musikamole wrote:

Does this "crash bang" theory also apply to female musicians? At least to drummers?

theoreticalboy

Oh, cool, let's talk about rad female drummers, like Palm Olive, Mo Tucker, Yoshimi P-We, and Janet Weiss.

electricpawn

Meg White?