Forums

How do I sell My Priceless Piece

Sort:
Seraphimity

Freeman's of Philadelphia Pa, the oldest auction house in the state, frequently sells paintings/artwork in the millions and Rago auction house in Jersey, they are the folks who run a division of the Antique Road Show.  Both have extensive clientel.  It is the auction house's best interest to recieve a high dollar as they work on commision.  Make sure it is a well advertised auction and one that publishes a color mail-order catalog to all present and recent attendies.  Though not antique per say its rarity and appeal Im sure would qualify it for entry.  As Jester noted it is more of a piece of art and would fit well in a like themed auction.  Shop around the larger auction houses near you, they may just know of a guy looking for just such a thing!  Having done the circuit for many years I'd expect to see 2-3,000$ usd. (maybe a nice bit more providing competing interest)  Best of luck, btw that is by the far the most awesome piece of chess artwork I have ever seen! thank you for posting.

Stevie65

Thats impressive Seppev..I wanna see more!  Whats that in the background next to the chair?

If you sell it how are the little people gonna get to bed?  Lol..

Abhishek2

you should carve the pieces too.

Pat_Zerr

I live in Kansas, too, and remember cutting plenty of Osage Orange (here commonly known as "hedge") wood with my dad to burn in our fireplace.  It is a beautiful wood that is yellow when first cut, but after aging a while turns dark orange (unless you preserve it, as I see was done with this piece).  I often thought that making a chess set out of it would be neat, but I'm no good at carving and don't have a lathe.  I'm not sure what other wood to make the other pieces out of.  Perhaps use fresh yellow hedge for the light pieces, and use weathered orange hedge for the other dark pieces.

wtf_BobbyF

i think $4,000 usd sounds about right... thats the most beautiful chess table i have ever seen, thank u for sharing

Conflagration_Planet
N2UHC wrote:

I live in Kansas, too, and remember cutting plenty of Osage Orange (here commonly known as "hedge") wood with my dad to burn in our fireplace.  It is a beautiful wood that is yellow when first cut, but after aging a while turns dark orange (unless you preserve it, as I see was done with this piece).  I often thought that making a chess set out of it would be neat, but I'm no good at carving and don't have a lathe.  I'm not sure what other wood to make the other pieces out of.  Perhaps use fresh yellow hedge for the light pieces, and use weathered orange hedge for the other dark pieces.

A lathe wouldn't work to make chess pieces, except pawns anyway.

composner

How... wha... wow. Nice. If I had an extra 5k I'd buy it. That's... incredible. 

Seraphimity
composner wrote:

How... wha... wow. Nice. If I had an extra 5k I'd buy it. That's... incredible. 

...ahhh Truely Wink

DrFrank124c

There are collectors interested in "folk art," art made by ordinary people who are not professional artists. Wouldn't know who to contact in your neck of the woods but perhaps that would be an avenue you might want to investigate. It is beautiful and worth top dollar.

teocaf

I'm surprised no one mentioned Etsy.com.  It's like an ebay for  craftspeople who make one-of-a-kind stuff as well as small run production items.  They have a large section just on woodworking with carvings that sell in all price ranges.  Good luck.

seppev23

I looked at Etsy I had never heard about it before but it looks like it would be a really good place to sell it       thank you

Pat_Zerr
Conflagration_Planet wrote:

Yes it would.  You could turn the bodies, but of course they'd need to be finished out by hand, like the knights, and the kings' & queens' crowns.

Conflagration_Planet
N2UHC wrote:
Conflagration_Planet wrote:

Yes it would.  You could turn the bodies, but of course they'd need to be finished out by hand, like the knights, and the kings' & queens' crowns.

Smile