Forums

How does Magnus survive without opening prep???

Sort:
nameno1had

Certainly Magnus is well prepared for his games, regardless of how his choices are scrutinized....

Fear_ItseIf

have people seen his games? he plays some hard mainlines, of course he prepares, even if he sometimes plays offbeat.

nameno1had

I think that he has something that most often can't be accounted for...intuition...perhaps he has found playing from rote counter intuitive... ?

nameno1had

trumpeting wrote:

SmyslovFan wrote:

Carlsen plays main line openings as Black, including the Spanish and long lines of the Sicilian! He has no problem studying and memorizing critical lines. 

He has made a conscious decision as white to play positions that offer chances to complicate even if they do not offer an advantage. He still studies those openings before he plays them. 

It seems that some people here are suggesting that he doesn't study openings. As Ivanchuk once said, playing non-standard openings against 2700+ opponents requires more work, not less!

I think this is the most accurate assessment of what's actually going on.

from some things I've read here and there, I don't think anyone really understands how crazy the opening preparation/studying gets at that level. 

perhaps he's playing what he plays because they all know all the other stuff too well.

they do seem to beat some lines into the ground every now and then. sometimes for a period of 6 months to a year you'll see the same variation again and again and again.

I studied a game recently between Anand and Aronian, where Anand chose the worst possible move that gave him an advantage on move 11 as black. Ironically for Aronian, Vishy had 10 better choices that he passed on. Yet, forfeiting all of the potential advantage from a tactical stand point, gave Anand a huge strategical advantage. Aronian hadn't waded through those waters enough or at all, and it gave Anand eventual compensation, first positionally and that in turn became a tactical advantage that won him the game.

It is obvious to me that the best players look beyond memorizing the obvious, that everyone else does. I am sure Vishy intentionally looked for a line that would give him that opportunity, just as you are assured Magnus does. Upon reading the OP's idea, I thought it far fetched that any GM doesn't study openings and lines.

ozzie_c_cobblepot

How many World Champions were not at the forefront of opening theory?

I'm sure Magnus does study his openings. I wish he contributed more to the theoretical discussions. If he is comparable to Karpov, who will be his Kasparov who forces him into this type of work and contribution?

TheGrobe
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

If he is comparable to Karpov, who will be his Kasparov who forces him into this type of work and contribution?

Probably sloughterchess.

InfiniteFlash
nameno1had wrote:

trumpeting wrote:

SmyslovFan wrote:

Carlsen plays main line openings as Black, including the Spanish and long lines of the Sicilian! He has no problem studying and memorizing critical lines. 

He has made a conscious decision as white to play positions that offer chances to complicate even if they do not offer an advantage. He still studies those openings before he plays them. 

It seems that some people here are suggesting that he doesn't study openings. As Ivanchuk once said, playing non-standard openings against 2700+ opponents requires more work, not less!

from some things I've read here and there, I don't think anyone really understands how crazy the opening preparation/studying gets at that level. 

perhaps he's playing what he plays because they all know all the other stuff too well.

they do seem to beat some lines into the ground every now and then. sometimes for a period of 6 months to a year you'll see the same variation again and again and again.

I studied a game recently between Anand and Aronian, where Anand chose the worst possible move that gave him an advantage on move 11 as black. Ironically for Aronian, Vishy had 10 better choices that he passed on. Yet, forfeiting all of the potential advantage from a tactical stand point, gave Anand a huge strategical advantage. Aronian hadn't waded through those waters enough or at all, and it gave Anand eventual compensation, first positionally and that in turn became a tactical advantage that won him the game.

It is obvious to me that the best players look beyond memorizing the obvious, that everyone else does. I am sure Vishy intentionally looked for a line that would give him that opportunity, just as you are assured Magnus does. Upon reading the OP's idea, I thought it far fetched that any GM doesn't study openings and lines.

dude please know how to quote properly, i cant easily read whats yours and what is not.

Charlotte
ozzie_c_cobblepot wrote:

Carlsen is lazy.

that's because he can afford to be

nameno1had

Randomemory wrote:

nameno1had wrote:

trumpeting wrote:

SmyslovFan wrote:

dude please know how to quote properly, i cant easily read whats yours and what is not.

I apologize. The android posts tend to cram everything together sometimes. I do leave spaces, but the get omitted by whatever anomaly between the software.

SmyslovFan

You could always use quotation marks

TheGrobe

I avoid quoting via mobile devices altogether (as a courtesey, and for clarity).

At one point TinyMCE was working for Safari on iOS, but chess.com removed it.  Even then the quote capabilities didn't work, but there was a glimmer of hope that they might one day.

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/tinymce-and-ios-5

ozzie_c_cobblepot

At least you can embed HTML in iPad posts...

nameno1had

I should start typing @the directee...that would be better yet...

I prefer to associate my posts more directly, for others to more possibly notice and contribute

Teary10

Hes not the world champ for nothing .