Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

I wonder why algebraic notation?

• 9 months ago · Quote · #321

Ziryab wrote:

At the First American Chess Congress, a device was proposed that employed magnets and balls to facilitate reconstruction of a game after it was played so the players could more easily record their games. They did not ordinarily record their games during play.

In those days, the descriptive that some of us grew up with was still in its infancy.

The mechanical devise was proposed by J. J. Lowenthal.  There were also propasals for different "improved" methods of notation given by Robt. Dodge and by John Bartlett.

I'd noted some different notations I've encountered on several occasions, such as HERE and HERE  

• 9 months ago · Quote · #322

Thanks batgirl.

• 9 months ago · Quote · #323

DrSpudnik wrote:

I prefer figurine algebraic notation, but you need a long time control to draw all those teeny pieces on your scoresheet.

Especially the little horsies.

• 9 months ago · Quote · #324

I've devised my own figurine pieces. They are much simpler than the ones in chess books.

Each one takes about 2-3 seconds to draw.

• 9 months ago · Quote · #325

Or you could bring some little stampers and an ink pad along with you to a tournament.

• 9 months ago · Quote · #326

Perhaps the absolute best is the long(e2-e4)figurine algebraic.What do you think?(at least the most complete,if anything.)

• 9 months ago · Quote · #327

Algebraic is racist because it is based upon WHITE'S point of view.   

• 9 months ago · Quote · #328

It's also mathist!

• 9 months ago · Quote · #329

And raic!

Post your reply: