Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

I wonder why algebraic notation?

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #301

Ziryab

bigpoison wrote:

I guess you could argue that that particular half a league was eternal.

It did have a Xeno's arrow sort of quality.

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #302

batgirl

Try the Udemann-Gringmuth code, once used for telegraph and radio matches. 

1. e4 e5 = gegoseso

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #303

ThrillerFan

Reb wrote:

Not in the US but FIDE doesnt allow it and I had an arbiter in Portugal hassel me  about it and I had to switch to algebraic ... USCF allows you to use descriptive if you wish . 

Really?  There are certain notations that can't be used in certain countries?

Does that mean they expect you to use their language too?  I've seen Algebraic use different sets of letters.  I use what is traditionally used in the US (K=King, Q=Queen, B=Bishop, N=Knight, R=Rook, file letter=Pawn), but I've seen others, like S for Knight, L for Bishop, D for Queen, T for Rook, for example.  Would they yell at me for using KQBNR?

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #304

VULPES_VULPES

Count the syllables:

g5: jee - five

Black's KB4: black's - king - bi-shop - four

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #305

Ziryab

ThrillerFan wrote:
    Reb wrote:

Not in the US but FIDE doesnt allow it and I had an arbiter in Portugal hassel me  about it and I had to switch to algebraic ... USCF allows you to use descriptive if you wish . 

Really?  There are certain notations that can't be used in certain countries?

Does that mean they expect you to use their language too?  I've seen Algebraic use different sets of letters.  I use what is traditionally used in the US (K=King, Q=Queen, B=Bishop, N=Knight, R=Rook, file letter=Pawn), but I've seen others, like S for Knight, L for Bishop, D for Queen, T for Rook, for example.  Would they yell at me for using KQBNR?

The FIDE rules are clear and consistent. Use algebraic in any language that you can handle, or draw the little figurines if you are so inclined.

US law generally, and chess is no different, reflects our residual medievalism. 

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #306

rdecredico

Ziryab wrote:

US law generally, and chess is no different, reflects our residual medievalism. 

Human beings as a species have spent many more generations being ignorant than they have enlightened.

Its only been 300+ years out of 40,000 in existence that the species has realized and proved its ain't the center of the universe so there's still a lot of progress to be made.

Smile 

• 5 weeks ago · Quote · #307

kiwi

A lot of failure too.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #308

Squarely

...algebraic because it is the most intelligent.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #309

steve_bute

Squarely wrote:

...algebraic because it is the most intelligent.

The "most"? I'd go with a purely numeric system because it avoids the problem of mixed alphabets. Even better, a system that uses a purely visual nomenclature. 100 years from now, when the PRC is running the chess world, we'll be quite pleased with ourselves for having done so right now.

Disclaimer: I use full algebraic notation. I would not be averse to using numeric notation. I have no desire to return to descriptive.

Post your reply: