Forums

I've Got A Secret - Bobby Fischer

Sort:
Coach-Bill

eddysallin

WOW!!  Forgot how he looked at that age.Thks. Brings back a period of time when tech. was unknown,the russians were the chess thing and fisher was the best.

i0NE

That was great aww-rats.....thanks for sharingSmile

johnyoudell

What a great young lad.

Lovely smile.

How did he do in the tournament?

AndyClifton

He became a GM. Smile

Coach-Bill
johnyoudell wrote:

What a great young lad.

Lovely smile.

How did he do in the tournament?

He qualified for the candidates tournament for the right to challenge Botvinnik. He  said in advance, "I can draw with the GM's, and beat the patzers". Or something similar. After a shaky first two rounds where he won a lost game and saw one patzer trade him right down to a draw, he buckled down, and went undefeated I think against the Soviet murderer's row near the mid of the schedule. Then, an exciting draw with Gligorcih got him a spot. his famous win over Larsen's Dragon Sicilian was played.

AndyClifton

Which is another way of saying what I said.

johnyoudell

Found the cross table http://www.worldchesslinks.net/ezde3.html.

Draws with Tal, Gligorich and Petrosian pretty impressive (especially Tal that year).

AndyClifton

Note they didn't spell poor Bob's name right! Laughing

Btw Olafsson also became a GM in that tourney, the same way that Fischer did.

DrFrank124c

Bobby was a national treasure! Too bad he wasn't treated as such even tho he brought pride to our country which was lacking in pride at the time! 

AndyClifton

Well, that's a dubious assertion at best.

gaereagdag

Bobby should have broken out a Bananarama style song:

I heard a secret

I heard a secret

Yes I did

Da da da da da

You're telling me

Your wicked ways

And you know I can't forget

I'm waiting for your call - all

and to regret

I didn't know you at all

I heard a secret

You know I have a broken heart

I heard a secret

Yes I did

AndyClifton

listen

do you want to know a secret?

do you promise not to tell?

oh oh

closer

let me whisper in your ear

say the words you want to hear

I think you're all Jews

ooh ooh ooh

ooh

johnyoudell

I thought the notion that Fischer playing a match with Spassky breached a trade embargo ridiculous and the subsequent persecution of Fischer by the US authorities distasteful.

It did, however, afford Iceland the opportunity to show that among very many people in the world - many no doubt members here - he is regarded with respect and admiration.

To admire his achievements in the world of chess does not require acceptance of the anti-semitism that marred his latter years.  But a lot of us will get a bit odd with age.  We must all hope for some tolerance about such things.

AndyClifton
frank124c wrote:

Now everyone is going to say I am anti-semitic but the fact is that my parents were both Jews ... 

So you hate them too?

AndyClifton
johnyoudell wrote:

To admire his achievements in the world of chess does not require acceptance of the anti-semitism that marred his latter years.  But a lot of us will get a bit odd with age.  We must all hope for some tolerance about such things.

Still, there's odd and then there's odd...

It also doesn't require attempting to ignore it or to rationalize it.

AndyClifton

Oh yeah, that's a real taboo-bender. (lol)

DrFrank124c
Shadowknight911 wrote:

shocking that the mod was smoking a cigarette on-air

the sponsor was a cigarette company--that was allowed in those days

AndyClifton

Indeed, it was encouraged.

Chander71

It was required, not just encouraged.  Most advertising was some form of product placement.