Forums

Playing extra-ordinary openings for more fun

Sort:
TeraHammer

Lately I forgot about all these book openings and started to play random crap in the beginning of the game. This has actually done a lot of good to my chess I think. I encounter pieces in other squares than the usual. Best of all, I enjoy the games more, with wild and strange positions. Here is an example. I was playing black.

Do you guys experience the same? Playing weird stuff leads to weird positions leads to interesting games?

1RedKnight99

Why would both sides play weird stuff? Bf1-e2-f3 seems like a waste of time.

ivandh

I always play the bongcloud as white, and as black (1. d4 f5?! 2... Kf3!?!!

1RedKnight99
ivandh wrote:

Ah yes, the new move where the king goes from e8 to f3 in one move! Known as, The King's Gambit.

finalunpurez

GG

ivandh
jrzmath99 wrote:
ivandh wrote:

Ah yes, the new move where the king goes from e8 to f3 in one move! Known as, The King's Gambit.

Exactly, it's very extra-ordinary.

Mechkov

I suspect it was fun because you didnt lose, so we must ephasise on the oponent's ability to capitalise on the weird stuff you play. Although some moves may seem weird, they may still obey chess opening principles and therefore be good, unlike in the game you linked, lol. I always have troubles VS polish opening, and recently i started having fun with budapest gambit... so yeah, try extraordinary things, but dont forget about the chess principles, as for the fun gambits work the best for me.