Forums

The Urusov Gambit is the best gambit! (1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 Nf6? 3.d4!)

Sort:
ajian
thepro278

side note, it has been theorized (but never proven) that there are more possible chess game variations than atoms in the known universe - maybe one of you idiots can take some time and examine that so that the rest of the internet can be spared from your complete and utter incompetence.

CrMicro

I like how Chess.com does not archive its discussions so we can comment on historical documents of significant importance like this one. 

iguessiplaychess
Fear_ItseIf wrote:
Passionate_Fighter wrote:

87% of people who play chess know the queens gambit and the kings gambit
21% of people who play chess know the Urusov gambit

Can you cite the source you got these statistics from? (your ass doesn't count).

lol

SmyslovFan

Honestly, I seriously doubt as many as 1/5 of all chess players know the Urusov by name. It's been more than two decades since Polgar (I'm not even sure which one anymore) published her analysis in Chess Life. Even then, she took time out to explain the name of the opening. 

And yes, I did see that 2.Bc4 was played this week by none other than Carlsen against the #2 player in the world and his challenger in the World Championship. That doesn't mean people know the name of the opening, or when it is/isn't a Urusov.

https://en.chessbase.com/post/norway-chess-carlsen-round-1

MickinMD

It's worth springing on an unsuspecting opponent, but let me say that the Bishop's Opening is my favorite opening but I've NEVER played the Urosov.

I coached a high school team in the '90's, before Kasparov played the Bishop's Opening when it had been out of favor for 60 years.  No one knew the Bishop's Opening and its typical K-side attack middlegames and we rode that opening to three consecutive county team championships in our state's most competitive county and 3rd, 4th, and 5th state team trophies.

So I encourage 1 e4 2 Bf4 - or it's cousin the Vienna Game, where an early f4 often works.

LaskerCompensation
MickinMD wrote:

It's worth springing on an unsuspecting opponent, but let me say that the Bishop's Opening is my favorite opening but I've NEVER played the Urosov.

I coached a high school team in the '90's, before Kasparov played the Bishop's Opening when it had been out of favor for 60 years.  No one knew the Bishop's Opening and its typical K-side attack middlegames and we rode that opening to three consecutive county team championships in our state's most competitive county and 3rd, 4th, and 5th state team trophies.

So I encourage 1 e4 2 Bf4 - or it's cousin the Vienna Game, where an early f4 often works.

Carlsen had some games with 1. e4 Bc4. The newest one was played recently at Altibox Norway Chess.

SmyslovFan

Re post #31 quoting post #30, please read post #29.

MathWizKidA
MerleAmbrose wrote:
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

Can you cite the source you got these statistics from? (your ass doesn't count).

lol

Plus, the percentages don't add up to 100%!

So, these stats are obviously fake!

MathWizKidA
thepro278 wrote:

side note, it has been theorized (but never proven) that there are more possible chess game variations than atoms in the known universe - maybe one of you idiots can take some time and examine that so that the rest of the internet can be spared from your complete and utter incompetence.

Nah, I knew that already.

SilverByte
MathWizKidA wrote:
MerleAmbrose wrote:
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

lol

Can't tell if you are joking or not, but the percentages are from 2 different statistics and therefore don't need to add up to anything

FrenzyBeans2005

I played Urusov in a few matches as thought it was a good gambit. Guess my thoughts were wrong after playing with urusov for 3 months i finally realised its just a beginners trap

wilford-n
MathWizKidA wrote:
MerleAmbrose wrote:
Fear_ItseIf wrote:

lol

I hope you are joking. Fakeness of those stats aside, they should not be expected to add up to 100%. You are aware that most chessplayers can identify more than one opening, right?

The sum of players who know, for example, the Ruy Lopez and players who know the Sicilian will add up to almost 200%.

Also, we must define "chessplayers" to make this meaningful. OP just said "people," and I daresay that most people, i.e. general population, wouldn't know a Ruy Lopez from an Oranguntan...

nyku13

@pfren

In the first game you offered, doesn't 9.Re1 lead to equality? Also, why would you play 6...d5 when you could go 6...Bc5 with a clear plus? Forgive me if I sound like I am interrogating you; I am just curious to find out what you think about those questions.

CrMicro
Oranguntan...

Ahh! we finally stumbled onto the superior opening