Forums

Tournaments

Sort:
gerrygent

Does anybody think that some players,to enter a tournament,deliberately loose points (before the tournamont) to enter a lower category, just so they can win a trophy, or am I just been paraniod?

robert63

My gut feeling from playing on this site is that members are more concerned about their rating than tournaments.

gerrygent
robert63 wrote:

My gut feeling from playing on this site is that members are more concerned about their rating than tournaments.

Yeah, but by winning the tournament they get a higher rating

Sojkicz

Well, there can be some... but I don't care about them, you can beat them as well and if you don't play to win but to have a fun, you shouldn't care about it either. And if you play only to win, you can be one of them easily :o)

What I am more wondering about is that in Ruy Lopez tournament (or any other one where rating is important) there are many players with much higher rating than possible. Are they allowed to play or are they automaticly moved to another group? For example in RL 1200-1400 there is player with rating of 1650! Thanks for replies :o)

TadDude
Sojkicz wrote:

What I am more wondering about is that in Ruy Lopez tournament (or any other one where rating is important) there are many players with much higher rating than possible. Are they allowed to play or are they automaticly moved to another group? For example in RL 1200-1400 there is player with rating of 1650! Thanks for replies :o)

Read here in the space above Comments.

staggerlee

It's kind of pointless speculating about other people's motives for doing things.  Sometimes people have spurts of really good play.  I'm at my highest ever rating right now, it's a few hundred higher than it was two weeks ago.  It will probably go down soon.  If I had joined a tournament two weeks ago with a rating limit I would probably be over that limit now.  It would be just because I've been playing a lot and I've been concentrating and not making haphazard moves.