Forums

Tracking moves on paper while playing...

Sort:
SimonSeirup
RookedOnChess wrote:
Estragon wrote:

But using notes, diagrams, or analysis sets should get you immediately forfeited.  A clear and direct violation of the rules.  In competition, it's just you, the board, the clock, and the scoresheet.

LOL Estragon---that's why I will NEVER be competing! lol I can barely play!

I didn't know it was required for the players to record their moves though, but it definitely makes sense. Thanks for all that great info :)

I think you will be happy to read FIDE's Laws of Chess :)

http://www.fide.com/component/handbook/?id=124&view=article

Dragec
RookedOnChess wrote:

I didn't know it was required for the players to record their moves though, but it definitely makes sense. Thanks for all that great info :)

Just think how many great games would have never reached us, hadn't it be for the players recording their moves Cool

RookedOnChess

Simon, thanks for the link, and Dragec, you're right! You know, I can't remember which game I looked up on some site; it was a Fischer game, a famous game. I was able to watch it play out and even with my novice knowledge of chess, I could see the genius behind his play. And for sure, my boyfriend, Mark, is a total FIEND for downloading any and every PGN he can get his hand on!

theoreticalboy

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCOREBOOK-SCORE-BOOK-CHESS-50-GAMES-100-MOVES-NEW-/230400839839?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35a4f5d09f

s'what I use.

RookedOnChess

Another great link! Thank you! :) I didn't know they made these!

ColdCoffee

http://www.wholesalechess.com/shop/chess_supplies/chess_scorebooks

Cheaper here, even after shipping (at least while they are on sale). They have hardcover books too like those mentioned before. I have ordered through this company and was very happy with their service.

RookedOnChess

It's funny, ColdCoffee---I mentioned this to Mark today, thinking he wasn't aware of it, but he was and told me they sold them on wholesalechess.com. I bet these are the same ones! :)

And the electronic one would make sense if you actually do tournaments. That must've been exciting, Estragon :)

gorgeous_vulture
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

If you are talking about over-the-board play, then note-taking is expressly forbidden, to the extent that one may not even write down one's intended next move, before-hand. The score-sheet records the moves that have been played, not thoughts, analysis and intentions.

Note-taking in correspondence chess is, of course, fine and usual. On this site pencil and paper are unnecessary... there's a place to type notes on the game page.

Actually there's a note on the board in my club which says that USCF allows you to write down your intended move before you play it if you are recording the game with pen and paper. However, if you're recording the game on one of those newfangled electronic things (Monroi ?) you may may not.

PrawnEatsPrawn
NickYoung5 wrote:
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

If you are talking about over-the-board play, then note-taking is expressly forbidden, to the extent that one may not even write down one's intended next move, before-hand. The score-sheet records the moves that have been played, not thoughts, analysis and intentions.

Note-taking in correspondence chess is, of course, fine and usual. On this site pencil and paper are unnecessary... there's a place to type notes on the game page.

Actually there's a note on the board in my club which says that USCF allows you to write down your intended move before you play it if you are recording the game with pen and paper. However, if you're recording the game on one of those newfangled electronic things (Monroi ?) you may may not.

I know nothing of USCF, the rules I was referring to are FIDE.

LegoPirateSenior
Estragon wrote:
NickYoung5 wrote:

No, this has been changed after FIDE changed the Laws of Chess to prohibit it, although USCF still allows it as a special rule for events (which must be announced in advance).  There was never any real reason to allow it - other than the fact one World Champion (Petrosian) was in the habit of doing it.

A minor nitpick: the link you posted disagrees with the text I highlighted in red:

"15A. (Variation I) Paper scoresheet variation.

The player using a paper scoresheet may first make the move, and then write it on the scoresheet, or vice versa. This variation does not need to be advertised in advance."

RookedOnChess
Estragon wrote:
RookedOnChess wrote:

It's funny, ColdCoffee---I mentioned this to Mark today, thinking he wasn't aware of it, but he was and told me they sold them on wholesalechess.com. I bet these are the same ones! :)

And the electronic one would make sense if you actually do tournaments. That must've been exciting, Estragon :)

Tournament play is a blast, and there are sections for all levels in many or most events, so you should try it.  If you are in the NYC area, that is the most active region in the USA.  There are big tournaments with large prize funds, weekend and one-day events, and even club-sponsored rapid tournaments which are played in a single evening.

Estragon, I would have absolutely no interest in participating in that kind of competition lol Trust me, I'm not capable of truly challenging play---only rarely can I play somewhat "OK". Of course, my boyfriend would probably enjoy it if he could ever get himself to do that!

ChessMarkstheSpot

Well, if I ever do bother joining the USCF, maybe one day I'll get the courage to do something like that LOL.  I used to write all my moves down for the CM games until I figured out how to save paper LOL

-Mark

Bugniduck

there is an exception to writing moves down before making the move when you're claiming a draw or an adjournment.

. . . .

It is forbidden to write the moves in advance, unless the player is claiming a draw according to Article 9.2, or 9.3 or adjourning a game according to the Guidelines of Adjourned Games point 1.a.

karinokarino

i think it wastes time on the clock. if i were you, i wouldnt dawdle like that.

BobeeFissure

Rooked, there is an analyse board availabe while you play on chess.com.  Look at the lower right corner of your display.  You can move your pieces around just like in the game. Then write them down and play them in the real game.

waffllemaster
PrawnEatsPrawn wrote:

Heh, I saw this happen at a tourney.  An adult player had a note pad under the table and would scribble away between moves (taking notes of variations and what he thought).

No one complained, the TD happened to see him and walked over and said "I hope you're writing a letter to your girlfriend" (lol).  The guy just got a warning because he was new and didn't realize this wasn't ok.

ScarredEyes

I don't know, but maybe take 4 coloured pens for:

• Black pieces (for pieces, just use N, R, Q, K, P (pawn), B, just like in algebraic notation)
  • White pieces
  • Black moves (solid lines)/threats (dashed lines) [so you can distinguish]
  • White moves/threat

and just mark them down. If you can look at a board containing plans for two moves in advance, or 3, and you can remember the order of moves, then that might help.

I just thought of that, no experience, so it might not help; you might've already tried it. Good luck!

dancordosi

I find Algebraic notation quite easy, try Descriptive notation sometime.

TimothyScottPuente

@RookedOnChess

Fine and dandy taking notes during the game. However, should you wish to engage a practice that may tend to improve your game through improving your memory? Try out asking your opponent to keep score using the board and without you using the board. Make mental notes of the game while your opponent keeps track of the game on paper using the standard algebraic notation. Without viewing the notes your opponent makes. On a piece of separate paper write down the moves of the game you just played along with your mental notes.

Your chess skills will grow exponentially! Guaranteed!

Ciao,

Timothy Scott Puente