Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

What does it take to get to a 2000-2200 rated player? Really.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #202

TiresiasRex

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #204

Elubas

Yeah, I was talking about the guy Taunting Troll was responding to. Sorry for the confusion.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #205

yuri_boyka_ftw

If you ask me books and training softwares are scam, also paying for chess instricturos is waste of money. Unless you wanna be professional player to make a living from chess, don't waste a dime on chess. There is a lot useful material for free on internet and whole this raiting and titles idea is pure business. Its fictional so people get hooked to chess and tournaments and spend money there.

Chess is good to develop analytical skills, which help you in your studies or professional carreer you pursue. Otherwise it's just a game like all others, fun way to waste time.

Taunting troll big respect what you wrote so far :D

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #206

DrCheckevertim

It's not that books are a scam (although some may be), it's that we now have better resources. Books used to be the best way to learn more chess information (aside from playing games and analyzing with other players).

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #207

Scottrf

The balance of knowledge and performance/technique is much different in chess than golf. Silly to compare the two.

In golf it's easy to know what you're supposed to do. In chess it isn't.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #208

yuri_boyka_ftw

Taunting troll coach me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGJPF1c2GHE

Here is sth from bruce lee, troll is talkin bout :) 

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #210

Berkmaster

If someone's defense affects your offense, it is a sport.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #212

DrCheckevertim

Well, some people believe so.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #213

rTist21

Well, I know someone who far exceeded this level of skill; you might ask him how to get to this level. He always gives consistent advice....

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #214

yuri_boyka_ftw

I can share my personal experience, I started doing taekwondo when I was 17, when I was 21 I was training in south korea with world best athletes and also in my national team. I practiced for several years for 3-4 hours each day, I was killing myself. 

Consequence:

Yes I got better, but not enough to be in even national top level.

I injured my knee two times and injured my ankle 2 times, so I can't do anymore taekwondo on very high level. Problem is in my physique I am not flexible I suck a lot at split and I did everything to become more flexible but it just didn't work out. That is the reason because I started doing it at 17 years old. 

My lesson is, yes you can become better with hard work, but becoming on top national, euoropean or world level you need hard work from young age and TALENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without talent you will exhaust or break yourself with hard work and in the end hard work will become counterproductive for you.

Post your reply: