Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

what's the main difference between a 1300 and a 1800 player?

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #261

Optimissed

So equally, a 2200 on really hot form will easily outplay a GM who is having an off-day. Seen it happen a lot.

• 4 weeks ago · Quote · #262

DjonniDerevnja

1300 players tend to have played less chess, but they are coming from behind, and are biting hard.

I have a Norwegian rating at 878, which might be something like 1000-1400 Fide. Saturday I played a rapidtournament and scored 3 of 7 against 1500-1850 Fide. My Sicilian black was not ok. The 1800-players dont have so much openingproblems.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #263

JamesRossAllison

In general, what do you think 1300s problems with openings are?  Because by the time a player gets to 1300 they don't drop as many pieces as a 800-1000 rated player.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #264

JGambit

As far as openings go a 1300 could quite possibly know as much as an expert in their favorite lines. Thing is the second a 1300 or 1600 or 1900 gets out of their opening knowlage they will quicky start losing the thread of the game.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #265

DrCheckevertim

JamesRossAllison wrote:

In general, what do you think 1300s problems with openings are?  Because by the time a player gets to 1300 they don't drop as many pieces as a 800-1000 rated player.

What JGambit said, although typically 1300s don't know more than 5 or so moves in any given line.

1300s may not drop as many pieces as a 1000 player, but they still drop pieces a lot. Usually in the late middlegame, if not in the opening.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #266

JGambit

Just to add I have played 1200's on this site that play perfect openings according to book, and even as a lowly 1600 it is easy for me to see the drop off in quality of move selection on whatever move they must think for themselves.

James if you are playing people that are playing like a an 1800 in the opening and they are only 1300, just wait till around move 20. The mistakes at that point will astonish you.

• 4 days ago · Quote · #267

DrCheckevertim

Yeah, also, 1200s on this site in live blitz are more like 1400s OTB...

Same story though. It's easy to see when people run out of opening prep, and it's rarely more than 5-10 moves until you get around the 1800++ level...

• 4 days ago · Quote · #268

TheGreatOogieBoogie

As far as openings go everyone seems to be pretty up to date on them between database downloads, Chessbase Magazine, Chess Informant, and/or New In Chess where players can look at analysis and commentary on the most recent developments. 

As for leaving book people can look at the piece placement, center, and pawn structure and develop a plan accordingly, then this plan (or plans) will drive analysis with candidate moves.  You then logically eliminate plans, go with what you think the best plan is, then find out the best move for that plan. 

• 4 days ago · Quote · #269

JGambit

Agreed with DrCheck. Most of the time the first 5 to 10 are known, You really do have to play sub 1000's if you want to be consistantly up a minor by move 10.

Post your reply: