Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

what's the main difference between a 1300 and a 1800 player?

• 8 months ago · Quote · #601

DjonniDerevnja

eastyz wrote:

That one player from Norway followed the example of Capablanca.  Fischer did too but he found that to beat the Soviet players who played as a block he had to study openings very hard.  If you did what Carlsen did for the most part and play solid openings and then outplay your opponents later in the game, you would be following a good example.  The fact that you lost in 15 moves tells me that you are playing sharp openings where you have no choice but to study the openings.  Play solid openings instead so that you are unlikely to get caught out that way.

Maybe I play too sharp. Its a good advice to find something more solid. Suggestions? 

• 8 months ago · Quote · #602

halfgreek1963

500 pts. Anymore math questions you need help with?

• 8 months ago · Quote · #603

chessman1504

halfgreek1963 wrote:

This joke is getting slightly outdated.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #604

eastyz

Play the Caro-Kann as black against e4.  Unless your opponent is strong, he or she will find it difficult to sharpen the struggle.  French is another option as it generally keeps the game closed.  Play also closed (or semi-closed) openings as white such as the English and Kings Indian Attack.  Again, unless you opponent is strong, the game will not sharpen up for a long time.  Against d4, play d5 lines such as the Slav.  There are sharp lines in the Slav but generally it takes two to tango.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #605

Ziryab

chessman1504 wrote:
    halfgreek1963 wrote:

As long as this thread lives, basic math will prove beneficial.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #606

Jimmykay

chessman1504 wrote:
    halfgreek1963 wrote:

so is the thread.

• 8 months ago · Quote · #607

TheGoalkeeper

eastyz wrote:

I am taking up professional darts to improve my chess.  You need a steady hand to pick up the right piece and move it to the right square.

Gud choice! Laughing

• 8 months ago · Quote · #608

TheGoalkeeper

Jimmykay wrote:
    chessman1504 wrote:
    halfgreek1963 wrote:

so is the thread.

Isn' 'v'ry'thin' is? Undecided

• 8 months ago · Quote · #609

DjonniDerevnja

eastyz wrote:

Play the Caro-Kann as black against e4.  Unless your opponent is strong, he or she will find it difficult to sharpen the struggle.  French is another option as it generally keeps the game closed.  Play also closed (or semi-closed) openings as white such as the English and Kings Indian Attack.  Again, unless you opponent is strong, the game will not sharpen up for a long time.  Against d4, play d5 lines such as the Slav.  There are sharp lines in the Slav but generally it takes two to tango.

Thank you very much. Good suggestions! I will look closer at the slav as my first new openingtraining. Maybe I should start play a lot d4 as white, to get a feeling what the attacker thinks against the slav ( I have been playing e4 always). 

• 8 months ago · Quote · #610

pdve

[COMMENT DELETED]
  • 8 months ago · Quote · #611

eastyz

If you play d4 as white, you have to be prepared for the Gruenfeld.  But that only sharpens up if you let it.  Play the Bf4 line.  Black can still sharpen it up from there, but it is harder and only a strong player would know what he is doing.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #612

Dude_3

Whats the difference?

300 rating points. Duh

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #613

wasderd

Thanatos_01 wrote:

the main difference is that one is 500 elo ahead of the other

You just won the internet. lol

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #614

Ziryab

The main difference is that the 1800 is a patzer who thinks he or she is skilled, while the 1300 is only a beginner.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #615

Zigwurst

I went to 1901 in less than two years, and I still am underrated, providing I perform against masters like I have so far.

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #616

ForeverHoldYourPiece

Why was this thread revived again? 

• 7 weeks ago · Quote · #617

JamesRossAllison

ForeverHoldYourPiece wrote:

Why was this thread revived again? 

It happens.Smile

Post your reply: