Forums

What's the Point of Draws?

Sort:
PlaidPawn

Who plays football with fruit? Just asking!

grolk

better yet, who plays fruitball with feet?!?!

Senator-Blutarsky

Let them play with a yarn of wool then, call them the Catholic Cats.

bobbyDK
PlaidPawn skrev:

Why would you want to have a draw? Wouldn't you want to just beat the other person and get a higher rating?

people are not always interested in a higher rating. they are interested in winning tournaments and draw is still a half point more than nothing.

if two friends meet in a tournament and they agree to a draw they have both equal chances of winning.

the best way to prevent that is that a win is 3 points and a draw 1 point.

PlaidPawn
bobbyDK wrote:
PlaidPawn skrev:

Why would you want to have a draw? Wouldn't you want to just beat the other person and get a higher rating?

people are not always interested in a higher rating. they are interested in winning tournaments and draw is still a half point more than nothing.

if two friends meet in a tournament and they agree to a draw they have both equal chances of winning.

the best way to prevent that is that a win is 3 points and a draw 1 point.

PlaidPawn shrev? lol!

bobbyDK

@PlaidPawn

I don't why chess.com translated wrote into danish (in danish "skrev " means "wrote")

I haven't seen that before.

PlaidPawn

Oh! I thought someone just changed or something.

PlaidPawn
Estragon wrote:

A draw would  be the logical outcome of a well-played game by both sides.

What have you against well-played games?

The idea that draws are in any way "boring" indicates the speaker hasn't played over many draws from  GM events.  Often they are full of fireworks, with sharp play from beginning to end. 

I have nothing against well-played games. 

swiftattack
Estragon typed from his keyboard:

A draw would  be the logical outcome of a well-played game by both sides.

What have you against well-played games?

The idea that draws are in any way "boring" indicates the speaker hasn't played over many draws from  GM events.  Often they are full of fireworks, with sharp play from beginning to end. 

I agree.

PlaidPawn

Guys, can I just thank you all? This forum has gotten more than 10,000 views! That means sooo much to me. :D

PlaidPawn
[COMMENT DELETED]
Radical_Drift
PlaidPawn wrote:

Guys, can I just thank you all? This forum has gotten more than 10,000 views! That means sooo much to me. :D

You are very welcome. Have a blessed day.

macer75

10k views is nothing. Not to brag, but I have a bunch of threads with over 10k views.

However, that said, this thread shows good promise, and it should only be a matter of time before it breaks 20k.

trysts

I know of a thread that has over 300,000 views! Crazy!Laughing

PlaidPawn
[COMMENT DELETED]
I_Am_Second
PlaidPawn wrote:

To answer your question...Im the weird chess player, that plays to have fun.  Im not that concerned about winning, ratings, etc.  I have offered people draws in completely winning positions.  Why you may ask? Because i felt it was the better thing to do.  I have had people tell me that it reinforces there faith in mankind, Its nice to play someone that plays purely for the enjoyment, it has prevented people from quitting chess.  And for me, that is what i like to get out of chess, and pass on to others.

bobbyDK
I_Am_Second skrev:
PlaidPawn wrote:

To answer your question...Im the weird chess player, that plays to have fun.  Im not that concerned about winning, ratings, etc.  I have offered people draws in completely winning positions.  Why you may ask? Because i felt it was the better thing to do.  I have had people tell me that it reinforces there faith in mankind, Its nice to play someone that plays purely for the enjoyment, it has prevented people from quitting chess.  And for me, that is what i like to get out of chess, and pass on to others.

no disresprect intended but it ruined my otb experience that players have no fighting spirit some in my experience was too lazy to play chess.

it was one of the reasons I quit otb chess. I got angry about it. and it wasn't worth it.

bobbyDK

I_Am_Second> to further make my point why should some opponent sbe easier off somedays as others if you choose to play well, it can really ruin a tournament that some get a draw in a winning position. why should have gotten 0 and the outcome of the tournament should be different.

batgirl

What's the point of redundant, pointless threads?

I_Am_Second
bobbyDK wrote:
I_Am_Second skrev:
PlaidPawn wrote:

no disresprect intended but it ruined my otb experience that players have no fighting spirit some in my experience was too lazy to play chess.

it was one of the reasons I quit otb chess. I got angry about it. and it wasn't worth it.

No disrespect taken.  What you experienced in OTB chess is no different then what everyone experiences in life.  You either quit, or learn to deal with it, and use it as a way to help others.