Forums

Whats your chess story ??

Sort:
electricpawn

I think Jehova's Witneses forbid the playing of chess, but I still don't know what they witnessed.

trysts
electricpawn wrote:

I think Jehova's Witneses forbid the playing of chess, but I still don't know what they witnessed.

If they witnessed one of my games then it's understandableLaughing

electricpawn
trysts wrote:
electricpawn wrote:

If they witnessed one of my games then it's understandable

lol! mine are worse!

trysts
electricpawn wrote:
trysts wrote:
electricpawn wrote:

If they witnessed one of my games then it's understandable

lol! mine are worse!

Jehova wants nothing to do with us!Laughing

ContemplativeCat

In order to protect the innocent I'm not going to name the cult .(Phttt- JW's? -amateur hour)

They mostly thought it was a distraction and a waste of time. Let's face it- they may have been slightly out of touch with reality.

trysts
MrToad2U wrote:

In order to protect the innocent I'm not going to name the cult .(Phttt- JW's? -amateur hour)

They mostly thought it was a distraction and a waste of time. Let's face it- they may have been slightly out of touch with reality.

I don't think you're considered a cult unless you're at least slightly out of touch with reality. The only cult I belong to is FCBarcelonaWink

ContemplativeCat

Well, you either need to be out of touch with reality or be in possession of some arcane truth that's actually real............but we're getting into a weird area here so I think I'll bail out about nowTongue out

piggly

I just found this message.  Toady where did you come from? 

ContemplativeCat

At the time I was living in Scottsdale, Arizona.

I was born in Youngstown, Ohio.

winerkleiner
trysts wrote:

I started chess because I was abducted by aliens!

In 1836, a spaceship hit my house. Of course, it was uninsured, therefore my parents sold me for a mason jar of chipotle. I love my parents. I also love chipotle, so I completely understood the bargain involved. It is true that it was mango chipotle. I'm not being arrogant when I say that mango chipotle was a satisfactory trade for me. For, at that time, I had muscles and could work the fields from sun-up until sun-slightly-up. 

My parents, who didn't believe in aliens, and therefore were ill-mannered when the aliens walked out of the spaceship, still believe in folk dance. I danced with our extraterrestrial guests long into the the night. At about 7:00pm everyone was asleep except for me and *&^%($)@(%$. He opened a bottle of mango lassi, and started to get a wee-bit frisky. When I sent my dog away he started concentrating on me.

We didn't play chess that night, obviously. We were much too involved with aguing about the benefits of broccoli, but at that point I knew my dog needed a bath.

I guess many people start playing chess when this happens, but how many people are abducted by aliens on a dance floor?

Okay, I guess many people are abducted by aliens on a dance floor, but how many people have a dog?

Hey just wait one minute, this was an episode of "Dirty Dancing" "Footloose" where those pesky aliens abducted Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze and they (the aliens) forced Kevin Bacon to dance against his will.  But later (in the show) it was cool because Kevin's son was named Will (Ferrell) I think.  All turned out fine, and the all had a great laugh and when the curtains finally came down the aliens were holding hands with the cast...  

AnnaZC
winerkleiner wrote:
trysts wrote:

In 1836, a spaceship hit my house. Of course, it was uninsured, therefore my parents sold me for a mason jar of chipotle. I love my parents. I also love chipotle, so I completely understood the bargain involved. It is true that it was mango chipotle. I'm not being arrogant when I say that mango chipotle was a satisfactory trade for me. For, at that time, I had muscles and could work the fields from sun-up until sun-slightly-up. 

My parents, who didn't believe in aliens, and therefore were ill-mannered when the aliens walked out of the spaceship, still believe in folk dance. I danced with our extraterrestrial guests long into the the night. At about 7:00pm everyone was asleep except for me and *&^%($)@(%$. He opened a bottle of mango lassi, and started to get a wee-bit frisky. When I sent my dog away he started concentrating on me.

We didn't play chess that night, obviously. We were much too involved with aguing about the benefits of broccoli, but at that point I knew my dog needed a bath.

I guess many people start playing chess when this happens, but how many people are abducted by aliens on a dance floor?

Okay, I guess many people are abducted by aliens on a dance floor, but how many people have a dog?

Hey just wait one minute, this was an episode of "Dirty Dancing" "Footloose" where those pesky aliens abducted Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze and they (the aliens) forced Kevin Bacon to dance against his will.  But later (in the show) it was cool because Kevin's son was named Will (Ferrell) I think.  All turned out fine, and the all had a great laugh and when the curtains finally came down the aliens were holding hands with the cast...  

It was Footloose Episode III - The Return of Toe Nail Fungus

AnnaZC

Now that there is an alien abduction chess adventure, shawn the sheep, I wonder what else would come along...............................

uhmmmmmmmmmmCool

winerkleiner
AnnaZafi wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:
trysts wrote:

It was Footloose Episode III - The Return of Toe Nail Fungus

Ha yes you're right those toe clipping were flung every which way, good memory!

AnnaZC

@winerkleiner

Did not catch the original with Kevin Bacon, saw the 2011 remake

Wonder if they will remake Dirty Dancing? Or did they already make it?

They remake everything now...........................................

Tongue out

Natalia_Pogonina

My Grandpa taught me to play at about 5, but at that point I didn't study chess or play in tournaments.

Later, when I was a little girl, I have all of a sudden won the school's checkers tournament. A local coach went like: omg, she must have talent and calculation skills to do that. So he suggested I try playing chess instead. The rest is history. Smile

AlCzervik

My story? Well, I was born a poor black child, and, (fast forward).....

Now, I'm just happy to still have my dog, S***head.

winerkleiner
Natalia_Pogonina wrote:

My Grandpa taught me to play at about 5, but at that point I didn't study chess or play in tournaments.

Later, when I was a little girl, I have all of a sudden won the school's checkers tournament. A local coach went like: omg, she must have talent and calculation skills to do that. So he suggested I try playing chess instead. The rest is history.

Thanks for sharing, your rating saids it all!

manuelmagic9

When I was 7 years old I found a wood chess board with orignal box in my grandparents' attic. On one side of the box there were chess rules. I learned chess by myself from that box.
I played once in a while (less than 1 game in a year) for 15 years, only with friends, with no real interest in chess.
At the university I started using an online chess site for playing with a friend in another city while talking on Skype with him, once a week for some time. Then I completely forgot chess until I moved to my grandparents' home. I tried to login on the old online chess site but it was acquired by Chess.com... and here I am :) I played 99% of games in my life online on Chess.com in the last 2 months. I'm still a beginner but I started to win some games.

bresando
[COMMENT DELETED]
winerkleiner
AnnaZafi wrote:

@winerkleiner

Did not catch the original with Kevin Bacon, saw the 2011 remake

Wonder if they will remake Dirty Dancing? Or did they already make it?

They remake everything now...........................................

Hmm I haven't seen the remake of Dirty Dancing yet, but it will be on my to see list, hope the dancing holds up!