Forums

Why do i HATE playing black? :/

Sort:
chessgm003

Hello Everyone,

I Love playing chess but I always prefer playing as white pieces and If I play white more chances that I'll win and with black I don't win so much as compared to white pieces and I feel "uncomfortable" with black pieces. Why is that so? How can I improve my game with black pieces?? any help?

ThrillerFan

Sounds like you lack in defensive skills.

Sure, everybody (or everybody who is "normal") prefers White.  In the month of July, I've played a total of 11 tournament games over the board thus far.  I have 5 wins, no losses, and no draws with White, 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw with Black.

In your case, sounds like you need to read a book on Defense.  But even then, one's White results should normally be better than their Black results.  Overall at the GM level, White tends to score about 54% while Black scores 46%.  Break it down further, and it's usually 56/44 in favor of White after 1.d4, 54/46 in favor of White after 1.e4, and 52/48 in favor of White after a Flank Opening.

If you can score over 45% with Black, you're doing fine.  Your expectations should be loftier (i.e. 55%) when you have White.

Pick up "Practical Chess Defense" by Jacob Aagaard.

chessgm003

@ThrillerFan Thanks for the information, I'm going to read the book you mentioned :)

TheGreatOogieBoogie
ThrillerFan wrote:

Sounds like you lack in defensive skills.

Sure, everybody (or everybody who is "normal") prefers White.  In the month of July, I've played a total of 11 tournament games over the board thus far.  I have 5 wins, no losses, and no draws with White, 3 wins, 2 losses, and 1 draw with Black.

In your case, sounds like you need to read a book on Defense.  But even then, one's White results should normally be better than their Black results.  Overall at the GM level, White tends to score about 54% while Black scores 46%.  Break it down further, and it's usually 56/44 in favor of White after 1.d4, 54/46 in favor of White after 1.e4, and 52/48 in favor of White after a Flank Opening.

If you can score over 45% with Black, you're doing fine.  Your expectations should be loftier (i.e. 55%) when you have White.

Pick up "Practical Chess Defense" by Jacob Aagaard.

I agree that book is amazing and in GM Preperation: Calculation Aagard even mentions how Gelfand read Practical Chess Defense, it will break one down and build them right back up (like his GM Series books or Karsten and Muller's Secrets of Pawn Endings) but don't think it's appropriate for his level. 

When someone makes a silly blunder that helps their opponent improve their position with 3...Bb4+ like in this game:

They don't need to be told about the principle of defensive economy, trade off the most dangerous minor, create practical problems instead of playing an objectively best move when losing, pawn sacrifice in the name of defense, or make the minimum necessary concessions possible to meet the threats (okay, maybe this), but rather don't help your opponent improve their position by giving them tempi and don't be so careless.

Kingpunk

I actually play better as black at this rating. My low rank opponents try to suckered me in traps and end up blundering major pieces.

I_Am_Second
chessgm003 wrote:

Hello Everyone,

I Love playing chess but I always prefer playing as white pieces and If I play white more chances that I'll win and with black I don't win so much as compared to white pieces and I feel "uncomfortable" with black pieces. Why is that so? How can I improve my game with black pieces?? any help?

1.  Youre to caught up in the fact that white moves first.  The half move thing isnt even realistic unless youre a GM.

2.  You need ot learn to play from behind - DEFENSE.

MonkeyH

I think in a lot of openings white gets the space advantage versus the solidity of the black structure. Maybe this is your problem, that you don't like to play cramped? In that case I would suggest openings that counter that, for instance when white plays e4, sicilian and king pawn's game can give you that counter play instead of advanced variations on the caro kann and french where black is somewhat cramped although it later get's it own pawn breaks. 

Otherwise as suggested you could try to learn more positional chess so you know how to counter the space advantage of white. 

I_Am_Second
MonkeyH wrote:

I think in a lot of openings white gets the space advantage versus the solidity of the black structure. Maybe this is your problem, that you don't like to play cramped? In that case I would suggest openings that counter that, for instance when white plays e4, sicilian and king pawn's game can give you that counter play instead of advanced variations on the caro kann and french where black is somewhat cramped although it later get's it own pawn breaks. 

Otherwise as suggested you could try to learn more positional chess so you know how to counter the space advantage of white. 

Its a half move...its not liek white is getting a huge advantage of any kind.  Play 1...e5 problem solved, or play 1...d5

Spectator94

I prefer playing with black. Also for a long while my results with black were better than with white, now it's about equal I think. Last week I played a 9 round tournament and with white my score was 3,5/5 and with black 2,5/4.

I guess I am just more comfortable with the black openings and positions that arise (I play sicilian scheveningen and slav).