Forums

Why is chess not that popular?

Sort:
Ubik42
You can get a chess game anytime you want online.

This was not true when I was a kid. I couldn't find an opponent other than my dad untilI I could drive myself to a chess tournament. I think the popularity now is pretty good by comparison!

I guess every sport wants to be more popular, MMA fans probably want to be more popular but I'm not watching people mutilate each other.
mpaetz

Chess has been played for centuries, people have taken it so seriously that they spent their lives studying it, hundreds and hundreds of books have been written about chess, the world's biggest television sensation of 2020 was about chess, it's a worldwide phenomenon, there are several thriving websites such as this dedicated to chess. What do you mean it's not popular?

If you mean "why isn't it played in 75,000 seat stadiums and broadcast on nationwide TV?", sober up. No board game has that kind of spectator appeal. Chess is a difficult game to master, and most people who try their hand at it give up quickly. So there are only relative few of us that participate in and follow chess. Still, that "relative few" is millions worldwide.

AlCzervik
Ubik42 wrote:
You can get a chess game anytime you want online.

This was not true when I was a kid. I couldn't find an opponent other than my dad untilI I could drive myself to a chess tournament. I think the popularity now is pretty good by comparison!

I guess every sport wants to be more popular, MMA fans probably want to be more popular but I'm not watching people mutilate each other.

this is a good point, recognized by one that grew up playing only dad and my brother. 

nowadays, a player can get a game online at any time. that same person can also do many other things that we couldn't do as kids, so maybe it's relative?

Ubik42
Yah fun tunes. I feel like I was born in the wrong century, because when I was a kid chess was an old man’s game, and now that I am old it’s a kids game. I want my money back!
AlCzervik
Ubik42 wrote:
Yah fun tunes. I feel like I was born in the wrong century, because when I was a kid chess was an old man’s game, and now that I am old it’s a kids game. I want my money back!

i think there are many of us that feel we were born too early. 

well, that's what we all think when we get old!

George1st

That's the whole reason for the Forum. Don't repeat it, give us your thoughts. : )))

George1st

Dunno!

George1st
ThrillerFan wrote:
Big_Daddy_10 wrote:
ThrillerFan wrote:

Chess requires having a brain.  Something very few people highschool age and below have now-a-days.

For starters, I can tell you first hand, with my wife being a teacher, that the vast majority of kids today can't spell.  All they do is text all day, and turn in papers with "text talk" in it.

When they do translation (she teaches highschool Latin), a good half of the students will put down answers like "The boy desk his work"  (uhm, where's the verb???, should be "The boy sat at his desk and did his work"), or another good one is you'll see answers like this:  "The boy said to the girl 'I luv u, c u tomorrow'."

For crying out loud!!!!!!!!!!  If you can't do basic writing, and can't spell, don't understand what a verb is, etc.  How can you ever expect to be able to play chess?

Oh, here's another good one.  An actual question my wife asked the students a year or two ago.  "The boy drives the car", "what's the verb in the sentence?"  Two students shouted answers immediately.  One said "boy", and the other said "car".  SHEESH!!!!!  These kids are freaking 14 and 15 years old.

Being the father of 2 children; 1 a senior in high school and the other a freshman in college, I completely agree after meeting and speaking to my daughters peers and friends.

Infact, most kids today can't even tell time from a traditional clock as digital clocks have turned their  brains to jello. Digital clocks only require them to read numbers.  Assuming they can read the numbers on the traditional clock...they still are required them to think about the short hand, long hand and second hand.  And God forbid if it is a traditional clock without the numbers only the minute markings.

P.S.  My daughters are the exception to the modern day rule except when it comes to chess. They both learned how to play at a young age but were not interested thus know little more than the rules and some development strategy. 

You hit the nail in the head there.  My wife goes to Italy with students that choose to go.  It's to learn culture and history tied into Latin (Italian is derived from Latin).  However, here's some things I can tell you about her experiences (thus far, she's gone Summers of 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, and they are going this year for Spring Break):

1) They are allowed to go off on their own for a few hours, but they will say that all the students and chaperones need to meet at say, 6 o'clock.  One girl had her mother's watch on, but it was analog, and she seriously told my wife that she doesn't know how to tell time, which just goes to confirm your statement!

2) The legal age for drinking in Italy is 16, but the Chaperones required parental consent by parents of those 18 to 20, and wouldn't allow kids under 18 to drink.  However, some of the 16 and 17 year olds go on this trip figuring they can sneak the alcohol and don't give two hoots about the history.  There is an agreement signed before the trip that any kid caught drinking will be sent home on the next available flight, NO REFUND!  I think she's had to send 1 thus far in the first 4 trips if memory serves me right, and she has a hunch about one of this year's attendees.

Then, back here at home, in the 2004-2005 school year, she was in a trailer (overcrowded school), and they were on a 4x4 schedule.  That's where you have "A-Day" and "B-Day" and they alternate.  The purpose is instead of meeting 45 minutes for 8 classes, they meet 90 minutes, but only have 4 classes a day, and only meet every other day.  Now, many schools use that format but instead do semisters, but with foreign language, that still follows A-Day/B-Day because they figure you need to meet for the year.

That said, she had planning 4th block on both A-day and B-day.  The teacher that taught a marketing class had the class in her classroom on A-Day.  She literally would fall asleep, and the kids would be roaming wild.  In March 2005, some idiot decided to go into her desk drawer, take out a pair of scissors, and actually cut the cord of the clock in the room, and there was clearly a spark as there was then a hole in the blades of the scissors.  Lucky for the kid, they took the ones witht he plastic handles.

It gets better, 2005-2006 rolls around and she's in the same room.  They replaced the clock, albeit this one was smaller.  She had this one student named Chris King in 2004-2005 and 2005-2006.  He was a true idiot.  Here's some of the things he did:

1) Answered a translation with the word "sleeped" (uhm, past tense for sleep is "slept")

2) In their book, the English was written on the left, the Latin on the right.  He's reading the English and says "You know, this subject is really easy!"

3) In the fall of 2005, he's in Latin 2, and he tells the teacher (my wife), "You know, this class is going by faster than it has in the past."  He then looks towards the clock and says "Oh, the clock is smaller, that explains why time is going so much faster this year!"

Well, let's just say things haven't really improved at all for 2012-2013, and it's no different!  We will certainly make sure we find a way to make our almost 3-year old daughter become an exception and not fall into this trap that kids are falling into now-a-days.

Very happy to hear a normal person again. Been a while. Cheers! : )))

maurodius
Hi
Chesslover0_0
George1st wrote:
Chesslover0_0 wrote:
George1st wrote:
likhit_rc wrote:
msimx wrote:

I think you wanted to ask "Why everyone knows chess basics but not many go beyond that"?

Simply because chess takes some good grinding to become good at it and only when you get better at it game gets more fun/interesting and this is the level that not many people are willing to go for because it takes intellectual effort to get there while on the other hand if they play World of Warcraft level 1 orc, they can just go pickup mushrooms for some silly quest and still enjoy it.

+1

I will never be any good even if I did try...I really enjoy it though.

George, if I may call you that.  You're defeating yourself before you even try,never said I will never be good at it,this applies to not just Chess but anything in life.  You'll be defeated before you even get started and you'll never know how far you can go.  I understand you may be just being realistic with yourself and I know just how hard and frustrating Chess can be because the amount of information is overwhelming,this day and age.  

I personally believe that we all would have been alot better at the game had we learned it PROPERLY and that's the key words,in another forum,one person preached about fundamentals,even to the point of not only capitalizing but repeating the word over and over 3 times just to get his point across!.  I totally would agree.  I think it was Lasker or one of these older famous players who said that anyone can reach master within a certain amount of time,it was probably like 10 years or something.  

I don't know about all of that as I'm not a master and may never be one but I tell you what,whether I reach master or not I will NOT stop improving at this game and if I can so can you or anyone!  Chess is a game about knowledge folks,so that should answer our question of how to get better no?  If you want to get better at Chess,increase your knowledge of the game,plain and simple.  

Opening,Middle game and Endgame,what do you want to learn about? Learning about either will help improve your game.   

If you want to get good at Chess,you have to put in the work,it's no secret really and just like anything else,put in the work=getting better.  Simply playing and not increasing your knowledge will get you so far,at least that's my take on it.   I'm just trying to help,that's all! 

Chesslover0_0.....I know you mean well and I am very grateful, a lot of what you said is true. I appreciate your honesty and believe me I am trying, in all ways. Cheers. : )))

Any time friend, maybe we can study one day together, sorry for the long posts guys, I'm breaking myself out of that habit.  Most folks don't like long posts. 

Lord-doge

It's probably because it requires you to think something people these days don't know how to do

Chesslover0_0
Lord-doge wrote:

It's probably because it requires you to think something people these days don't know how to do

Exactly true, many people get on my case for "taking too long" to move.