Forums

your favourite for tatasteel chess tornament anand,carlsen ,sergey or some other

Sort:
LordHarnois

I do quite honestly feel Carlson is the best, but my vote goes to Anand I have sympathy for his perseverance.

SmyslovFan

I think a win by Anand over Carlsen would be the best thing to happen to chess. Carlsen seems like an unstoppable force right now. If Anand can show that match play really is more difficult than tournament play, Carlsen will have to regroup and improve his play! That would be fantastic for chess!

gridironassassin

Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

rooperi
SmyslovFan wrote:

Carlsen didn't beat Aronian or Anand in this tournament ............... 

He had Black in both those games, give him a break.Laughing

What stands out for me in this tournament:

• only Anand and Carlsen have not lost any games
  • Caruana's weak performance (2635 vs 2781 rating)
  • Leko's strong performance (2800 vs 2735 rating)
ozzie_c_cobblepot

Agreed with @SmyslovsCat above, if Carlsen loses and rededicates himself to chess, it will be everybody's gain.

Rasparovov
gridironassassin wrote:

Anand doesn't need to win Carlson now. As long as Anand defends his title, he'll go down in history as the best player to ever play. He may have to defend for a few years, but eventually the number of years he is champion will be recognized as the greatest acheivement ever in chess.

Lol what a joke. Anand is nowhere near being "The best player to ever play".

gridironassassin
Rasparovov wrote:
gridironassassin wrote:

4 straight world championships and the current world champion is where Viswanathan Anand is sitting right now. You've probably never seen a game like the way he destroyed Aronian with the black pieces in this tatasteel tournament.  Say it out loud, "Anand is the best player to ever play!" 

Rasparovov
gridironassassin wrote:
Rasparovov wrote:
gridironassassin wrote:

4 straight world championships and the current world champion is where Viswanathan Anand is sitting right now. You've probably never seen a game like the way he destroyed Aronian with the black pieces in this tatasteel tournament.  Say it out loud, "Anand is the best player to ever play!" 

Oh I've seen alot of games and that game against Aronian was indeed very good but it was a lot of opening preparation. 
"Anand is not the best player to ever play!" 

ozzie_c_cobblepot

If Anand were the best player to ever play, why was he always a perpetual #3 to K and K, until Karpov began his decline phase.

Don't get me wrong - Anand is an awesome player. I was counseled to NOT study his games, almost because he is too awesome of a player.

Of course, studying almost any top player's games is a good idea, that's not the point here. But when you have limited time to do the study, you should pick a player who is understandable, where you can kind of see why they do what they do. My teacher says that Anand is a very intuitive player, and you would encounter too often the times when he plays some move (a great move) but it's sort of out of the blue. Instead I'm studying Kramnik.

gridironassassin
Rasparovov wrote:
gridironassassin wrote:
Rasparovov wrote:
gridironassassin wrote:

Oh I've seen alot of games and that game against Aronian was indeed very good but it was a lot of opening preparation. 
"Anand is not the best player to ever play!" 

The rook ending by Viswanathan Anand that clinched 1st place in the Grenke tournament was of world class championship level.   How many times must Anand win and how many championships must he win to be rightly recognized as the world's greatest chess player? Will you now concede that Anand is the greatest chess player of all time?