Forums

extension account without giving permission

Sort:
rohirrimelf

Paypal extended my membership without my permission. I`ve payed close attention to this when i created my account one year ago. Please return the money to my account.

Because of serious health issues i was unable to play much during my membership of chess.com

This is a serious vialation of my rights

Please respond to this message

Greetings Hans Geboers

rohirrimelf

I am not the owner of the paypal account. I had to hear this from my father. I did not get a reminder of this extention.

Dzmitry_Kuzmich

I think it's just a scam that is used by chess.com to steal money. That the same thing that hackers do - get your credit card number and than take your money hoping that you won't notice it.  I was going to buy premium membership again but that people are getting billed without consent means that chess.com does not respect us. I don't want to beg them to disable automatic renewal or remove my credit card info. They must ask you if you want automatic renewal not you beg them to remove it. I started seriously think about finding more decent web site for online chess. 

RonaldJosephCote

Dzmitry, your 39 yrs old and you said the EXACT same thing in this thread,http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/disable-automatic-renewal?lc=1#last_comment   AND this thread;   http://www.chess.com/forum/view/community/credit-card?lc=1#last_comment                      UndecidedSo, which one's the scam, Pay-Pal, Chess.com, or YOUR bank?                                   please be relevant,helpful,and nice

Dzmitry_Kuzmich

Yes I did put the same message in a few threads. It were the places where people were discussing this problem. And I think it was quite relevant and helpful. At the first when I saw that my premium membership got automatic renewal with out me knowing it I just thought it was some program bug and chess.com administraton just doesn't notice it. I have spent a lot of time writing to the "support" about the probleme. And maximum that I got it was removal of the automatic renewal from my account once but the same dishonest scheme still working. And it is quit annoying to beg them to remove  automatic renewal from my premium membership when it must be taken as granted. So I was as nice as it was possible in this situation especially after making some research and finding out that people was complaining about it 5 years ago. 

And now question to "RonaldJosephCote": When some body takes your money with out you knowing it is called stealing, Isn't it? Of cource it has nothing to do with Pay-Pal or a bank it is a scam that prevent me from using the premium membership at chess.com (advertisments are quite  annoying to and I ready to pay just to get rid of them if chess.com will get rid of that  dishonest scheme. We are must to be given choise to use or not to use automatic renewal during the process of buying premium membership not to try to  get stolen money back afterwards).

rohirrimelf

i was hoping for a responce from a moderator.

Dzmitry_Kuzmich

Me too Smile

baddogno

Give it a rest already Dzmitry.  Autorenewal is standard business practice for digital services.  Chess.com is neither better nor worse than the rest of the business world.  Is it borderline sleazy?  Yes, of course it is, but so is much of modern capitalism.  I know no one bothers to read any of the legal stuff (including me), but I'm sure that the Terms of Service that you accepted when you signed up covers this. 

Yep, took all of about two minutes to find this:

Payments

Payments for subscriptions can be made via credit card, PayPal, or money order. All subscriptions are in US dollars. All credit card subscriptions are auto-renewed until cancelled by the subscriber (by contactingMember Support). Payments made by mail should identify the subscription product and should be sent to the address at the bottom of this page.

EDIT: @Rsava
Great minds do think alike.Wink
Rsava

Dzmitry_Kuzmich wrote:

I think it's just a scam that is used by chess.com to steal money. That the same thing that hackers do - get your credit card number and than take your money hoping that you won't notice it.  I was going to buy premium membership again but that people are getting billed without consent means that chess.com does not respect us. I don't want to beg them to disable automatic renewal or remove my credit card info. They must ask you if you want automatic renewal not you beg them to remove it. I started seriously think about finding more decent web site for online chess. 

Nope, when you sign up it is VERY clear that it is an automatic renewal and what you need to do stop auto renew. If you do not like the system, do not sign up. It is the industry (website membership industry) standard as well as many, many other industries.

(baddogno beat me to it.)

Dzmitry_Kuzmich

Rsava, It was not clear for me same like for many other people. You can research chess.com forums and see that people were complaning about this already 5 years ago. 

baddogno I don't like either modern no past capitalism it destroys the planet. Dishonest is dishonest no matter what some body call it. If cheating became a "standart" I don't like this standart.

rohirrimelf

baddogno,

In the netherlands there are strict rules about this. You cant renew memberships without permission.

I would not have payed with paypal if i could not do it with ideal. I hate to pay abroad if i can avoid it.

rohirrimelf

Dmitry,

I see you running on your avatar. Could you beat my time at 1/2 marathon. I`ve run it below 1 hour 30 minutes once.

Rsava

Dzmitry_Kuzmich wrote:

Rsava, It was not clear for me same like for many other people. You can research chess.com forums and see that people were complaning about this already 5 years ago. 

baddogno I don't like either modern no past capitalism it destroys the planet. Dishonest is dishonest no matter what some body call it. If cheating became a "standart" I don't like this standart.

Just because you do not think it is clear does not mean that it is not clear. It is VERY clear, sorry that you do not understand that.

Rsava

rohirrimelf wrote:

baddogno,

In the netherlands there are strict rules about this. You cant renew memberships without permission.

I would not have payed with paypal if i could not do it with ideal. I hate to pay abroad if i can avoid it.

And if you were doing business in the Netherlands, there might be an issue. You are doing business in the U.S. With a company that makes it VERY clear they it is an auto-renew.

You chose to do business anyway, therefore you agreed to have your membership auto-renew.

Oh, and I do business with an Internet service company located in the Netherlands, it is an auto renew that I had no way of not agreeing to. If I disagreed I did not get the service. So how is that "legal" in the Netherlands? At least with chess.com you can still use the free service.

RonaldJosephCote

UndecidedSOoo which one is it Dzmitry?  1st it was a scam, now its "capitalism destroys the planet".          I guarantee if you notify your bank that you do not want any automatic renewals for online service, you won't get any.                     Most people can remember their birthday, their anniversary, and their morgage. Why can't you remember your online billing?  Just put something on the calendar.

Dzmitry_Kuzmich

Hi Dirk I usually run full marathon or more if I can of course :) I think you would beat my time at 1/2 marathon :) I am not very fast :) 

Sorry about this situation with not authorised premium membership renewal. Try to write directly to 'support' I doubt they read this forum. I hope they will return your money back.

Former_mod_david

Always check the FAQs when you have a problem or concern, because it may have already been answered there.

In this case, see https://support.chess.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1444919-how-does-membership-renewal-work-

The first line of this article is:

If you paid by credit-card or PayPal, our monthly and annual subscriptions renew automatically:  If you are enjoying your benefits there is nothing you need to do.

It has a link to the subscriber agreement, which baddogno has already quote from above. It also has clear instructions about how you can cancel your automatic renewal.

We are also happy to give you a refund if you've forgotten to cancel your automatic renewal and have only realised once it's gone through: you do not have to "beg", but you do need to let us know, because we don't have psychic powers. The most effective way of doing this is by going to Help & Support (at the bottom of most pages) -> Contact and choosing "Billing". It may take a few days, but the Support team will get back to you and help you with your problem.

Moderators who check the forums such as myself cannot help you directly with billing issues, nor can we log a ticket on your behalf.

UPDATE: In V3, the Help link is at the bottom left and called "Help"; the following screens are the same. At present, you can also use the "Report a Bug" function in the top right of the screen, which will take a screen shot and forward your enquiry to the Development team, who should be able to forward it to the Support team.

Dzimitry, there is already an option to turn off automatic renewal from your account page, as mentioned in that FAQ article I mentioned earlier. It sounds like you would like to be able to set this as part of the premium membership sign up process, instead of going to that page immediately after signing up and changing it yourself. You can always suggest this in the Site Feedback & Suggestions forum, but much of the current development effort is being directed at the new user interface (which is now available for everyone to test, not just premium members) and frankly, I suspect the cost of implementation would outweigh the benefits of doing so. Chess.com does not believe we are acting dishonestly and I personally believe that your claim that we are "stealing" is unjustified and unreasonable hyperbole.

If you really think that we are running some sort of scam, posting about it in the forums that we host, manage and moderate isn't really helpful: you should be reporting us to the relevant authorities. My local one here in the city where I live is the Office of Fair Trading: I'm not sure what the equivalent is for you in New York or Belarus, but let us know if & when you find out.

Cheers ~ David...

UPDATE: I have replied to your comment in the "Disable automatic renewal thread" and deleted your comment in the "Credit card" thread, since the latter was just repeating what you have said in these other two threads and does not add to this conversation or to that pre-existing one.

Senior-Lazarus_Long

Why not send people a message at least 1 week ahead of time,informing them that their subscription is due to expire and asking them if they would like to renew using the card info. you have on file or by paying with a different method? Don't you think that would be better than saying: "Read the fine print"? I do.

RonaldJosephCote

Because with 12 million people and climbing, that's more than a full time job for 1 person.  Let me get this straight!Undecided  You want to pay people to remind you to give them money. We have people like that already. The're called drug dealers and Bail bondsmen.

Senior-Lazarus_Long
RonaldJosephCote wrote:

Because with 12 million people and climbing, that's more than a full time job for 1 person.  Let me get this straight!  You want to pay people to remind you to give them money. We have people like that already. The're called dug dealers and Bail bondsmen.

No it wouldn't ,it could be an automatic instant message.Here is a clear example of a company's opportunity to please their valued clients. Do you think they will take advantage of it?