Forums

How to lower my rank

Sort:
kamuimaru
Adkerson wrote:

I keep seeing advice like "learn openings" or "learn pawn structure."  What?  If you learn the rules, and how the pieces move, that should put you in the 1000s range.  If you learn basic tactics, that should put you in the 1200s range.

/end thread

NOPENOPENOPE. I am sure that I know the rules. Or is it just me?

waffllemaster
Adkerson wrote:

I keep seeing advice like "learn openings" or "learn pawn structure."  What?  If you learn the rules, and how the pieces move, that should put you in the 1000s range.  If you learn basic tactics, that should put you in the 1200s range.

/end thread

Especially for blitz ratings, that doesn't seem right.  Just knowing the rules doesn't mean you'll be 1000 right away.  And while some people below 1000 make seemingly random or bizarre moves, some of them actually open the game reasonably and know some tactics.

Black_Locust

When I started here, my online rating dropped into the 900's, though I knew the rules.  I just made too many stupid mistakes.  With some basic tactics and a little practice I'm into the 1200's.  In blitz & bullet, the time pressure really changes the situation for an inexperienced player.

chesswasteland
ToadyCody wrote:

I just started with a rank of around 1200, and even at 600 after getting destroyed quickly 10 times, I'm getting annihilated. Is there a way to put my rank in a proper place so I get fair matches?

You lowered your rank by just asking this question.

Adkerson
waffllemaster wrote:
Adkerson wrote: ...

Especially for blitz ratings, that doesn't seem right.  Just knowing the rules doesn't mean you'll be 1000 right away.  And while some people below 1000 make seemingly random or bizarre moves, some of them actually open the game reasonably and know some tactics.

In blitz, I suppose that doesn't apply.  I have only ever played online, and that's what I refer to here, and perhaps I've simply had a different experience than others, but I genuinely don't ever remember being below 1000.  And I learned the rules recently enough to remember.