Forums

livestream ads: is it me or chess.com

Sort:
ealdor

I have tried to watch Dan Heisman's last show but had to give up because of an ad than popped up over and over again.  Is that part of livestream tv or unique to my experience?

baddogno

The only way to prevent the ads is to use something like ad blocker or adblocker plus.  This will also take care of annoying delays from cdn.optimize.com.

ghostofmaroczy

I thought erik didn't like it if we use adblocker.

baddogno

^ Could be, but I got the idea from Danny Rensch on one of his shows when someone was complaining about the ads.  All I know is that it works.

rooperi
ghostofmaroczy wrote:

I thought erik didn't like it if we use adblocker.

With my sluggish connection, withouth adblocker cdn.optimizly.com makes the site almost unusable for me.

ealdor

I wouldn't mind the occasional ad, but the one I cited was present almost constantly and too obtrusive for me to follow the program.  Of course, I understand others may not be bothered by it.  I am surprised NoScript doesn't block the ads.

Scottrf

What browser do you use? I have chrome and have never seen an ad on chess.com (apart from the one before livestream starts).

ealdor

Scottrf, I  use Firefox and have never seen ads before, either.  It was only with the Heisman video that I tried to watch that the ads were there. 

kohai
ealdor wrote:

I have tried to watch Dan Heisman's last show but had to give up because of an ad than popped up over and over again.  Is that part of livestream tv or unique to my experience?

This stops it

lxusr
kohai wrote:
ealdor wrote:

This stops it

That will not help him as he is using Firefox.

Ealdor, this is the add-on you want to install: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/  I have been using it for years and wouldn't browse the web with out it.

ealdor

Thanks to Kohai and lxusr.  I did install adblock plus and found the Heisman video popup-free.