Forums

Timer

Sort:
Dark_N_Stormy_Knight
[COMMENT DELETED]
Richard

Zephuros this link will explain what you are seeing :

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/91/0/why-did-the-clock-times-suddenly-change-the-clocks-seem-broken

Regards

Hydra

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

Zephuros this link will explain what you are seeing :

http://support.chess.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/91/0/why-did-the-clock-times-suddenly-change-the-clocks-seem-broken

That can't possibly explain it.  There has only been 6 moves in 3 days so it can't be bonus.  When I got up at 7am, 8 hours ago, he had 16 hours left, now he has 17.   No moves have been made since yesterday.  

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

I may be wrong on the yesterday thing, I might have made a move around 7am this morning.   That would only be about an hour and a quarter off the clock.  I'll keep a log and notify if large errors show up.  

Richard

Ah sorry i thought this was occuring in live chess,

which game is it that you noticed this happening in, paste a link to it.

Regards

Hydra

Richard
Zephuros wrote:

I may be wrong on the yesterday thing, I might have made a move around 7am this morning.   That would only be about an hour and a quarter off the clock.  I'll keep a log and notify if large errors show up.  

Ok, do so :)

omnipaul

I think what you're seeing is a result of vacation time being used.  Whenever someone goes on vacation, a minimum of 24 hours is removed from their bank of vacation time.  If they return before the 24 hours are up, they get time added back to their games as compensation.

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

Thanks, I'll keep a log anyway, out of curiosity.  If it happens 3 times in a row it's not vacation time.  I expect you won't hear from me again though.

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

Maybe I am misunderstanding this timer thing altogether.  Perhaps the timer only runs when the other player's Chess.com screen is active?  Is that it? 

I currently have a game with zackheins that I made move g6 yesterday sometime.  We are on 24 hr moves.  He currently shows 22 hours, even though I made my move yesterday, I know all these can't be vacation, one right after the other, the laws of chance don't go that far!   How is this possible?

omnipaul

Why can't they all be due to vacation time being used?  If this person is a premium member, then they will automatically be put on vacation if their time runs low.  If they come back after a few minutes and make moves, then they get taken off of vacation status and you might never even realize it except for this odd behavior of the clock.  They might not even be running low on time in your game, but one of their others, instead.  If they have a lot of games going, they might have different amounts of time in each of the games and it might not even be their move during these mini-vacations.  This factors could all work together to make their automatic vacation time trigger fairly regularly.

kshc027

Possibly...

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

I think this whole vacation time adding thing is highly improper and suspicious.  Someone on vacation should not even bel allowed to play at all till they return.  Why can't someone go on vacation as long as they want and not have to play at all?  If you are gone 3 months you're out of Chess.com till you sign up again.  The way it is, if I go on vacation, I'll just quit and rejoin when I come back.  What's the big deal?  It's not like it's national ratings.  

All someone would have to do is know someone who knows someone at Chess.com and they could get unlimited time on all their games.  Or, God forbid, buy extra time.   This is all highly suspect and could easily be abused.    

Dark_N_Stormy_Knight

no comment is damning indeed.