Forums

Equal position? Not really!

Sort:
MSC157

My recent best standard game with nice tactic in equal position.

Rotonblau

Great puzzle!

shoopi

When calculating this line, I was positive black would play 31... Rb1 intending to pursue the passed pawn as soon as possible. 31... Rc2 seems like a blitz move that proves one tempo is often too much, now white can safely promote his passer with a Rd8+ resource if needed.

31... Rb1 may still be losing since black's king is out of play, but I think it is mandatory.

TetsuoShima

wouldnt rook d3 also be winning?

shoopi

Rook d3, when?

Anyway that just seems like a waste of time. Passed pawns should be pushed as soon as possible.

MSC157

shoopi, according to computer, both Rb1 & Rc2 are equal (+4), 26 ply-depth.
TetsuoShima, true,f6 is slightly better, but no big difference.

TetsuoShima
shoopi wrote:

Rook d3, when?

Anyway that just seems like a waste of time. Passed pawns should be pushed as soon as possible.

passed pawns should be pushed, you sound like boris alterman lol

TetsuoShima
MSC157 wrote:

shoopi, according to computer, both Rb1 & Rc2 are equal (+4), 26 ply-depth.
TetsuoShima, true,f6 is slightly better, but no big difference.

my problem is i dont see why f6 is better, but maybe i just have to take a look at it again later.

MSC157

TS, I checked with engine. However, I put the variation I played in a game. But you're absolutely right. Rd3 wins too, didn't even think about it in the game.

shoopi

Yes, white has a winning position there.

I didn't check with an engine just used common sense. But it does not surprise me if a couple of moves win for white at that point.

waffllemaster

Yep.  "Development" is not confined to the opening.  If you fall behind in activity at any point in the game (e.g. leaving a piece out) then you're screwed in an otherwise equal position.  Black going for the bishop trade is as fundamentally wrong as not developing or opening the position without castling during the opening phase.

Martin0

Rd3 would also be my choice at the end. Just avoiding checks and prepare to put the rook behind the passed pawn. It's not like we are losing time when black played Rc2 instead of Rb1

Kinnmark

Missed Re8+, but good one!

al_farabi

yep,not

Equal position