Forums

Extreme tactic with positional gain (rating 3160+)

Sort:
MrUlekleiv

This is a nice tactic found by Stockfish in the superfinal of TCEC. The starting position of this sequence is quite balanced and offers both sides winning chances. Stockfish finds a way to make black have to struggle for a draw. Can you find this sequence?

The tactic acctualy did not gain any material, but it achieved a superior position. So, basically it's a tactical combination with a positional gain. I'll let you try to solve it, but don't be ashamed to use the lightbulb; even Houdini and Komodo refuted this tactical sequence as somewhat a blunder after the first move, but at the end of it, they had to admit that the positon got alot better for white. So it's a pretty decent find. Since SF is rated 3165 and both Komodo and Houdini is just below 3160, I found it accurate to rate the problem 3160+  :)  Good luck

Twinchicky

Wow, that puzzle is one heck of a thing. I'm going to have to seriously study that position to even understand half of what's going on.

MrUlekleiv

As a result, the black's king position is quite weak, and white holds the bishop pair. White also pins the knight on d5, a pin which could cause possible problems. 

Despite this, Komodo fought well and forced a draw by perpetual checks some 20 moves later. 

MrUlekleiv
Twinchicky wrote:

Wow, that puzzle is one heck of a thing. I'm going to have to seriously study that position to even understand half of what's going on.

Yes. I think this might be over the head of players like Carlsen or Caruana as well. Maybe not when they first see the moves, but atleast to figure this out all 10 moves in advance. If you have engine evaluation on during a master's game, this might be a good reminder that a sudden boost isn't always realistic, because it might be based on some extreme combinations with some pretty solid quiet moves.. the stronger the engine is, the more insane the combinations get..

CP6033

I didn't find all of the move, Rg4! is nice. I think i found about 5 after playing 3 of the most probable moves...

Nazisherlock

very difficult puzzleSealed

MrUlekleiv
Horace44 wrote:

What does Stockfish's main line look like if black takes the pawn on move 1?

It sees black sacrificing the exchange to get rid of the light square bishop some moves later. I haven't had time to let it go to real depth, but this is the current variation if 1... Nxf4. 

2. Qf3 Nd5 3. Rdf1 Kh8 4. Nxd5 exd5 5. c3 Re4 (because black cannot afford to trade of the light squared bishop, the h-file would then be a freeway to the black king). 6. Bc2 Rae8 7. Bxe4 Rxe4

Black has a pawn for the exchange.