Forums

Movie reviews

Sort:
onthehouse

A good PBS Masterpiece Theatre series based on John Galsworthy novels, The Forsyte Saga, I found to be interesting. Damian Lewis acted in this series and The Band of Brothers mentioned above. Both good performances.

onthehouse

Robert Powell gives a convincing performance in the 1977 television  mini-series Jesus of Nazareth; a movie with appearances of many noteworthy actors.  Dated somewhat but still good.

trysts
onthehouse wrote:

Robert Powell gives a convincing performance in the 1977 television  mini-series Jesus of Nazareth; a movie with appearances of many noteworthy actors.  Dated somewhat but still good.

The thing about Jesus movies is that they are too familiar. The movies lack tension for me because the character of Jesus overwhelms one's existence in real life. Too much Jesus. De trop. 

In addition: I live in the bible belt of the U.S., therefore I understand if "too much Jesus" is odd to someone who doesn't live hereWink

blake78613

I thought The Last Temptation of Christ was an a very good movie and should have won the Oscar.

trysts

Once the Academy Awards gave a best picture oscar to "Rebecca" over "His girl Friday", and "The Grapes of Wrath", ya' had to know it was a silly "awards" ceremony to get the stars to sign contracts.

onthehouse

Just watched the latest 007 James Bond movie Skyfall. It's about what you'd expect from Hollywood  in this genre. Better than some 007 flicks but a bit predictable. Daniel Craig is getting a little old for the part and the grand old Dame Judi Dench could retire anytime now. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of seeing it, but then again wouldn't recommend it either.

trysts

Someone who I no longer see took me to this silly film, "Skyfall". But at least he didn't hit meLaughing

electricpawn
trysts wrote:

Someone who I no longer see took me to this silly film, "Skyfall". But at least he didn't hit me

Was it because of his poor taste in movies? Wink

trysts

Yes, if he had loved the "Hostel" films I could have anticipated a good tying up!Laughing

electricpawn

Note to self: rent "Hostel" films.

trysts

Note to self:

quit talkingLaughing

ilikeflags

skyfall was fine.  better than fine.  it was a solid film.  the villian was tremendous.

trysts
ilikeflags wrote:

skyfall was fine.  better than fine.  it was a solid film.  the villian was tremendous.

Yes. A very fine film. Javier Bardem killed people, then he laughed! Original! Never seen before! Great acting! I love how gambling is used as a metaphor! I've never seen anything like it! Sooooo clever! I like how the action informs the viewer of a lack of script! Tense! The "mother" metaphor? Genius! Great film!Laughing

ilikeflags

i'm tired of bond and gambling.  someone must be drunk.

trysts
ilikeflags wrote:

i'm tired of bond and gambling.  someone must be drunk.

Don't you live in Las Vegas, ILikeFlags? Aren't you fed up with gambling movies? I mean, did everyone run out of ideas in British and American cinema? For the cost of a 007 film, they could have made 20 films with a script that doesn't have to do with "terrorists" attacking the "intelligence" community. P-R-O-P-A-G-A-N-D-A.

ilikeflags

you're thinking too much.  i don't see bond for art.  javier killed it.  the rest was exactly what i expected.  

onthehouse

A simple, plain old (1955) movie with Ermest Borgnine is Marty. Not a huge Borgnine fan but I liked this film.

trysts
ilikeflags wrote:

you're thinking too much.  i don't see bond for art.  javier killed it.  the rest was exactly what i expected.  

Yes, you're right. James Bond is for those who have had a trying day of thinking. It is your escapism from thinking so much about the world.

ilikeflags

is onthehouse spamming the film thread with films?

trysts
ilikeflags wrote:

is onthehouse spamming the film thread with films?

Yes, onthehouse is obviously trying to steer this thread off topic by posting opinions about films in a film thread. This must go unnoticed!

This forum topic has been locked