Forums

Old TV Shows

Sort:
SquareDealer
cabadenwurt wrote:

Thanks for the recent posts.I remember the name Johnny Yuma but for some reason I don't remember that show. As for Dick York I imagine that he must have been loaded once in a while as he gave up a good job on " Bewitched " and then disappeared. Of course Pernell Roberts had done that as well some years before on " Bonanza ". Also Mclain Stevenson on " MASH ", some people just don't want to work  lol. 

The name of the show was "The Rebel"

Javan64
AndyClifton wrote:

Actually, Dick York apparently had some pretty serious back problems (in fact, he may have been loaded on painkillers by that point). 

Oof!  Painkillers and alcohol: not a good combination at all!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the new posts. Recently thought of another show that fits into the Detective & Police category: Kojack with Telly Savallis ( who loves ya Baby ? ).  

AndyClifton

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info AndyClifton. I wonder if that is where Telly Savallis got the idea from ? Of course he may have come up with that cute little saying on his own or perhaps a Script writer may have had the idea.

cabadenwurt

On one of my other threads the subject of Clowns came up and this reminded me of another TV show. A very popular Variety show was put on years ago by Red Skelton and he had a series of sketches that he did wearing clown makeup.

AndyClifton

Actually, it was the other way around...they based the song on the phrase, which of course had become very big at the time.

AndyClifton

2 great clowns:

SquareDealer

Boston Blackie! Jack Paar!

SquareDealer
[COMMENT DELETED]
AndyClifton

Hey, speaking of Mr P (and just to prove that this really happened, since I once posted a still from it earlier):

AndyClifton

Would you buy a used piano from this man?...

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the posts AndyClifton and SquareDealer. I had forgotten that Lucy visited Red Skelton, mind you he had a lot of big names stop by over the years. I remember that even Errol Flynn visited Red's show and put on the Clown makeup, of course that was late in his career. On President Nixon playing the Piano I do have a clip somewhere here of him doing that on the Grand Ole Opry.

I never did see the Jack Paar Show. I did however see Merv Griffin, Mike Douglas, Dinah Shore and of course Johnny Carson.

Javan64

Ahh, Red Skelton.  One of the funniest things I ever saw was Red telling who would be on the following week:  he introduced Raymond Burr, who was sitting in the front row of the audience in his wheelchair (remember Ironside?), stating that on next week's show RB would perform a psssionate love scene with Phyllis Diller! (or words to that effect)  RB got an ablolutely horrified expression on his face, jumped up out of his wheel chair & ran back up & out of the studio!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the info Javan64. So Raymond Burr was not that fond of Phyllis Diller  lol. 

cabadenwurt

If memory serves the last of the Variety shows was the Carol Burnett version, a fitting way to end a long line of that type of show. Comedy was a very important part of those shows and Carol Burnett's program certainly fit into that mold. 

SquareDealer

One Step Beyond

AndyClifton

Remember, cab, sometimes the visitation rights went both ways: Smile

AndyClifton

Perhaps just about the coolest host there ever was (also a director of note):

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the recent posts. I'm afraid that you've got me with that Host AndyClifton,I can't remember that fellow.