Forums

Recipes

Sort:
corrijean

I am trying to be healthy and eat more vegetarian dishes. Since I grew up in the midwest where meat and potatoes are the core of every meal, I'm finding it a bit challenging.

What's your favorite vegetarian or semi-vegetarian recipe? Or if you have a really good one, non-vegetarian recipe?

trysts

Wow! I knew one of us would get around to this threadWink

corrijean

Laughing

I had a big fail with eggplant tonight, so I need help.

corrijean

I tried this recipe:

Ingredients

• 1/4cupextra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
  • 1shallot, finely chopped
  • 6medium garlic cloves, very thinly sliced
  • 1 1/2poundsripe tomatoes, cored, coarsely chopped
  • 2teaspoonskosher salt plus more for seasoning
  • 2bay leaves
  • 1poundChinese or Japanese eggplants (2–3 medium), cut into 1/4-inch rounds
  • 1poundzucchini (2–3 medium), sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
  • 1/2cupcoarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, divided
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

• Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until edges just start to brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, 2 tsp. salt, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring often, until tomatoes are juicy and broken down, about 5 minutes.
  • Add eggplants and cook, stirring often, until eggplants begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in sliced zucchini, cover pan, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley.
  • Divide vegetables among bowls; season to taste with pepper and garnish with remaining 1/4 cup parsley. Drizzle oil over.

Read More http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/05/eggplant-and-zucchini-in-tomato-garlic-sauce#ixzz1utroNDJW

It didn't live up to my expectations.

trysts
corrijean wrote:

I had a big fail with eggplant tonight, so I need help.

Eggplant is so hard to get just right.

corrijean

I can't recall having tried to cook eggplant before.

trysts

The recipe you posted reads yummy! This is a good thread to have, because as I cook for myself I can type it here for fun, and see if you like any of itSmile

corrijean

That would be great. I would love to try some new recipes. My usual sources are bon apetit and allrecipes.com, but it is nice to have a personal recommendation.

trysts

It will be vegetarianism for the poor, but it will have a yummy middle-class tasteLaughing

corrijean

My mother-in-law gave us a pressure slow cooker. It is great for cooking beans in. Much less cooking time. Here is a recipe I have modified for the cooker, and it is one of my favorites:

Ingredients

• 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
  • 2 large garlic cloves, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons (or more) curry powder
  • 1 cup lentils
  • 4 cups water or chicken broth

Preparation

• Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the slow cooker on brown setting (or in heavy large pot over medium heat). Add onion and carrot; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add garlic; stir until vegetables are soft but not brown, about 4 minutes longer. Add 2 tablespoons curry powder; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add lentils and 4 cups water or broth. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Set the cooker for 10 minutes ( Or increase heat and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes).
  • Divide soup among bowls. Serve with warm flat bread
trysts

Try this to make it vegan:

corrijean

Thanks. I'll give it a whirl.

trysts

Nowadays they can get the taste of a variety of meats using only vegetables and spices. They haven't gotten fish or shellfish right, nor have I tasted a good vegan cheese, but they have vegetarian pork, beef, and fowl done quite wellSmile 

Robman6
[COMMENT DELETED]
corrijean

My goal is to eat meat once a week or so. I made salmon last night that was very tasty.

corrijean

An approximation of this recipe. I always switch things around a bit.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/melt-in-your-mouth-broiled-salmon/

AnnaZC

vegan burger, with video

http://www.ifood.tv/recipe/savory_mushroom_and_black_eye_pea_burger

AnnaZC
LisaV wrote:

Indian cuisine.

If you like Indian (India) food, there are tons of vegetarian Indian cookbooks.

Then after eating, you can do your yoga.  :)

yes, but it has a strong spice flavor and odor, very very strong

goldendog

I have a few curry recipes, mainly changing the ingredients from chicken/rice/potatoes to rice/potatoes and hard boiled egg/potatoes.

They are all excellent, using a tomato-based sauce with plenty of onions and garlic and ginger. I combine my own spices but a good curry mix wouldn't be hard to find. Since I like it hot I also throw in some habaneros, but you can use jalapenos or go milder.

I've made some nice vegetarian chili with baby-corn, potato, and zucchini. You can let your imagination run wild when it comes to ingredients.

I've also got a few quickie, grub dishes that are tasty but they're maybe too low brow for you nice ladies.

(Tonight made some Thai Jasmine rice that will be shrimp fried rice manana.)

corrijean
LisaV wrote:

Indian cuisine.

If you like Indian (India) food, there are tons of vegetarian Indian cookbooks.

Then after eating, you can do your yoga.  :)

Thanks, Lisa. I'll see what I can find along those lines.