Forums

So ... Anyone else been to Vulcan ???

Sort:
jtt96
cabadenwurt wrote:

Thanks for the recent post Jtt96. Of course it has been quite a few years now since the original TV series first aired and a couple of cast members have sadly passed away. However Captain Kirk for one is doing quite well and at age 80 has released another book. The fact that William Shatner has the energy to carry on with his showbusiness career and also put out a book at his age should inspire all of us to keep busy and try to do things !  

+1! 

electricpawn

Vulcan is many light years away. Humans do not possess the technology to create a vehicle that can travel at the speed of light. To contemplate such a journey would be highly illogical.

TheGrobe

Actually, it's just a couple of hours South of here.

electricpawn

When I went to Winnipeg, it felt like several light years. Hey now!

TheGrobe

I'd say it's more like a black hole.  That place sucks.

electricpawn

I've mostly ben in the area around the convention center, and your description is accurate. However, we went to an Itallian restaurant in a different part of town, and it didn't suck. There may be hope.

cabadenwurt

Thanks everyone for the posts.

Jtt96, Thanks for the +1 rating ! Of course we are very proud of Captain Kirk up here. He grew up in the city of Montreal I gather.

Electricpawn, as it happens I was on the phone with someone from Vulcan just the other day ( from the town of course ). And yes you are quite correct that with our current technology we cannot stray too far from the Earth, even a trip to nearby Mars would be very difficult for any humans. But of course on TV we can travel any where at any time, past, present or future.

And Grobe since I haven't been in Winnipeg in about 50 years I guess that we will have to go with your assessment, might get some residents there upset tho  lol.    

jtt96

Don't buy a windows phone if you want Star Trek related apps. There's nothing good in the marketplace other than one podcast: 'Stoked'. And that's more about STO rather than Star Trek. (I do recomend it, though)

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the update Jtt96. I did at last get a Cell-Phone ( my own version of a Star-Trek communicator  lol ) but it is a very basic unit. I mainly wanted one to have with me when I'm out driving around as a Safety device.

jtt96

Yeah, I actually have no use for a phone plan so I bought mine used so that I wouldn't need to have a phone plan. (ok please don't start telling me I need to get out a thesaurus and find more creative words. I realize that. I'm just to lazy to do it.)

cabadenwurt

Well in my case English is not my first language as I lived in the Black Forest area of Germany until I was 9. Therefore my best friend for many years has been a Spelling Dictionary, a Thesaurus is of little interest around here  lol. 

cabadenwurt

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a couple of Star Trek episodes that I like very much. Another terrific episode is " Balace of Terror " in which the long absent Romulans decide to test the defensive capabilites of Starfleet ( and the Romulans also try out their Invisibility cloaking system ). Long-term Star Trek fans would of course also notice that the Romulan commander is played by Mark Lenard who later had a recurring guest role as Mr.Spock's father.   

jtt96
cabadenwurt wrote:

Earlier in this thread I mentioned a couple of Star Trek episodes that I like very much. Another terrific episode is " Balace of Terror " in which the long absent Romulans decide to test the defensive capabilites of Starfleet ( and the Romulans also try out their Invisibility cloaking system ). Long-term Star Trek fans would of course also notice that the Romulan commander is played by Mark Lenard who later had a recurring guest role as Mr.Spock's father.   

I hadn't noticed that before, but I think I know what you mean!

cabadenwurt

Hello again Jtt96. I need to add more info regarding Mark Lenard as he could be the answer to a trivia question. He also played the part of a Klingon in the first Star Trek movie and thus was the only actor to play a Romulan, a Vulcan and a Klingon in the Star Trek franchise. Mind you he is best known for playing the part of Sarek, that being Mr.Spocks father. Sarek's character also appeared in a couple of the Star Trek movies and in at least one episide of Star Trek-The Next Generation as well.     

jtt96

We should have a trivia contest!

cabadenwurt

Thanks for bringing forward the idea Jtt96. We would of course need a expert on Star Trek trivia to be in charge, my knowledge in that area is quite limited. The only reason that I knew the info about Mark Lenard is because it is written right on the slip-cover that came with my VHS copy of " The Balance Of Terror " episode.

artfizz

Which Star Trek actors have cameoed in The Big Bang Theory?

cabadenwurt

Thanks for bringing forward the trivia question Artfizz. I'm afraid that you've got me with that one, maybe one the visitors to this thread will give us a good guess ?  

ivandh

I've been to this vulcan:

cabadenwurt

Thanks for the photo Ivandh. That must be the Roman god of fire that our town of Vulcan is named after. Of course thanks to Star Trek they have gotten a bit of a boost from tourism. I haven't visited Vulcan for several years but I still phone down there every now and then ( to the town that is  lol ).