Forums

Conditional moves

Sort:
jstplyit

I think it would be a great if we could start a tournament that had a option, just like the 'no vacation' option, where a person has to OK it before they joined, of responding to conditional moves??   How would you feel about joining a tournament that you would have to respond to conditional moves?  It would definetly keep the games going and maybe also have a limited number of them, like say 4 or 5, so a player wouldn't be stuck on one game too long if they are running low on time or something....

Zen

I'm not sure I understand the point of this. You get a new clock time for each move you make (even if your opponent responds with a conditional), so you can just move on to another game at any point, even if the string of conditionals continues in one game.

TheGrobe

I think he's saying that you wouldn't get your full per-move time allotment if a conditional move was played against you, but rather that you'd be obligated to move immediately.

I don't see many agreeing to play under those terms. I certainly wouldn't.

Zen
TheGrobe wrote:

I think he's saying that you wouldn't get your full per-move time allotment if a conditional move was played against you, but rather that you'd be obligated to move immediately.

I don't see many agreeing to play under those terms. I certainly wouldn't.

Ah if that's the case, I wouldn't agree either. Doesn't sound fair at all.

jstplyit

So if the clock started over for each conditional move, then would you be interested?   That would be fair.......

Zen

So you'd be forced to respond immediately to every conditional move made by your opponent, albeit so that you get a new clock time for each move? It still seems to somewhat go against the nature of correspondence chess. Not to mention that I don't see how you could implement it in a way that it couldn't be avoided (e.g. exit browser and renavigate to the site). It's an interesting idea to speed up the completion of games, but I'm not sure it would be that popular among members.

jstplyit

yes.....alot of these issues would have to be worked out first.....and like my first opening comment........there could be a set number of conditions so noone would be stuck on one game to long....even if it came down to responding to just one.........it would speed up tournaments....some food for thought

Zen

I agree it's an interesting thought. I just think it might not be worth the complications considering that it's in conflict with the basic idea of correspondence chess (move in x days).

jstplyit

well that would be the point of making it optional, like when you join a 'no vacation' tournament and have to click ok that you are agreeing to the rules. Some people i am in tournaments with now, log on everyday and won't take 5 minutes to respond to moves, but instead, wait until the games have a few hours left and only respond to those games, and not even one conditional move, yet they are on the site for over an hour some days.  While they are allowed to do this, it is very disrespectful to players who may not be able to afford a membership and can only join a few tournaments, then they are stuck waiting for these players to finish, and alot of these type of players abuse vacation also.  So at least if the site allowed such options in tournaments, everyone joining would know what they are getting into upfront, and it could start with just responding to 'one' conditional move, for a trial to see how it goes.  I think alot of people would be ok with only one response. And they could take care of their other games first knowing they would be on these games a little longer so as not to time out.