Forums

Posting = Tracking?

Sort:
jon

We have implemented a setting so you can now turn off the auto tracking.  Just visit your settings page here:

http://www.chess.com/home/alerts.html

Un-check the "AUTO-TRACKING" box and click "Save Changes".  Any future comments you make on content will no longer auto track by default.

Jon

Tyzer

Thank you very much! I just noticed this feature too, and I was a bit surprised...but I don't think I'll make use of it (I don't like too many alerts), so it's good to know we can turn it off now.

planeden

brilliant.  thanks jon. 

ivandh
TheGrobe wrote:

I have to do this for every thread I post in?

Can we please have a master setting that allows us to have it behave the way it used to, while still allowing us to selectively track users and threads?

For as long as I've bothered to pay attention, it will very occasionally track a thread I've posted in. Usually it is in a thread that I am not that interested in and have no particular desire to revisit.

EDIT: I'm not really sure why I quoted this post up here. Maybe it was automatic...

artfizz
paul211 wrote:

New auto-tracking feature when someone posts in a forum or thread is in effect, good thing to know, and are any other new features we should know about?

How and where do we get informed on new features?

If you're tracking Erik, you'll have seen these two announcements ...

new-support-center

your-thoughts-on-next-live-chess-redesign

If you're tracking webmaster, you'll have seen these announcements ...

Live Chess Gets Some Love 1041 25 2/15/2011
New Support Site, Game Comments & More! 3012 44 2/10/2011
A Sleigh-Load of Live Chess Features! 2786 26 12/30/2010
A Retrospective of Recent Enhancements 4023 22

11/21/2010

Tyzer

It's weird to see someone complain that Erik is ignoring the site when he still posts on the forums himself from time to time.

wormrose

I am seeing what might be another bug. There are new comments listed on my home page that I have looked at (even more than once) but the new comments list still says they are unread. I am wondering if this is related to the "posting=tracking" issue.

edit: I just noticed they are all one-time main page polling questions.

artfizz
wormrose wrote: I am seeing what might be another bug. There are new comments listed on my home page that I have looked at (even more than once) but the new comments list still says they are unread. I am wondering if this is related to the "posting=tracking" issue.

I think is is just a timing issue. That alert will go away by itself in a little while.

wormrose
artfizz wrote:
wormrose wrote: I am seeing what might be another bug. There are new comments listed on my home page that I have looked at (even more than once) but the new comments list still says they are unread. I am wondering if this is related to the "posting=tracking" issue.

I think is is just a timing issue. That alert will go away by itself in a little while.

There are three of them for a day or two now and they won't go away. It's never happened before and it's very annoying, navigating to those pages and scrolling down to read the same stupid comments over and over again. It started just about the time the posting=track issue kicked in. I could ignore them (which I am doing now) but then somebody might say something useful. When alerts don't work properly it totally defeats their purpose.

jon
wormrose wrote:

I am seeing what might be another bug. There are new comments listed on my home page that I have looked at (even more than once) but the new comments list still says they are unread. I am wondering if this is related to the "posting=tracking" issue.

edit: I just noticed they are all one-time main page polling questions.

This was a bug and I have applied a fix.  Visit the survey / poll page again (sorry) and it should clear any new comments.

Jon

TheGrobe

Yeah, the feedback loop for turning off alerts always seemed to me to be triggered by the wrong thing:

1. Someone posts in a tracked thread
  2. Receive Alert
  3. Click on Alert (removes alert, but only on next refresh)
  4. Click on thread with new content (note: there may be more than one)
  5. Read content

I've always thought it should work like this:

1. Someone posts in a tracked thread
  2. Receive Alert
  3. Click on Alert
  4. Click on thread with new content
  5. Read content (Removes alert as soon as you navigate to the thread, provided there are no other remaining unread threads that triggered the alert)

This way you could go straight from step 2 to step 5 without going through the intermediate ones and it would still work as it should.  Also, the alert wouldn't get cleared when you read the first thread with new content, but rather the last which makes more sense to me.  Finally, once you've performed the step that triggers the alert's being cleared, it would no longer appear, as opposed to sticking around for one additional click as it does now.  Once I've read a thread it knows enough to clear the list from my profile page when I finally do click the alert, so I don't see why it wouldn't also clear the alert.

This, to me at least, would be much more intuitive and wouldn't leave alerts hanging around after you'd read the content if you navigated to the thread through a path other than through the alert.

pompom

I noticed that this is happening to me, too.

Alright, I've turned off auto-track.  Thanks for adding that feature though.

jon
El_Senior wrote:
jon wrote:

We have implemented a setting so you can now turn off the auto tracking.  Just visit your settings page here:

http://www.chess.com/home/alerts.html

Un-check the "AUTO-TRACKING" box and click "Save Changes".  Any future comments you make on content will no longer auto track by default.

Jon

Still broken.

I unchecked the auto-tracking and I am still getting the alerts, so I tried logging off and then back on to chess.com. 

Sadly I'm still getting those annoying alerts. Really, this isn't twitter or facebook and I know how to track stuff that I'm interested in...I understand there might be some people who find this feature useful, such as chess.com advertisers, but users should have the option to turn it off.

If you want to stop getting alerts for content you are currently tracking:

Goto the content and scroll down to the comment box.  In the top right hand corner of the comment box, un-check the "Tracking" box.  This will un-track you from the discussion. 

If you visit the content found in your "New Comments" box it will mark that content as read and remove the "New Comments" text until a new comment is posted (If you are currently tracking it).

If you have the "Auto Tracking" setting turned off on your alerts page (http://www.chess.com/home/alerts.html), any new comments you post will not auto track.  If you have it on, any comment you post will auto track.

The "Auto Tracking" setting does not remove you from every content you are currently tracking.

TheGrobe

Out of curiousity, what do you do for content you are tracking that you no longer have access to -- I believe a fix was made for this issue when leaving groups some time back, but suppose I tracked a thread and was then subsequently blocked by the original poster?

I don't actually have this issue, but am curious.  It would be good to be able to control this right on the master list of "Topics I am Tracking" via a checkbox next to each list item.

TheGrobe
rich wrote:

Not that much hard ship, just turn it off after posting if you don't want to track that certain thread. Simples.

No, it was actually quite a bit of a pain.  Thankfully chess.com responded quickly with the addition of an overriding control.

TheGrobe

As you can see, many did.

TheGrobe

Yeah, that's what I had to do.  Start here:

http://www.chess.com/forum/my_tracked_topics.html

Cystem_Phailure
rich wrote:

In threads like this one I only pay attention to staffs posts.

So that's why you keep responding to TheGrobe?

Conquistador

I did not realize the feature was implemented until yesterday when I was posting and I had all these alerts popping up.  I am glad there is a feature to turn it off.  I prefer to have a few tracked threads I like to keep tabs on and have other threads in which I post in if I deem them interesting.

TheGrobe

webmaster is the account name, and there is now an announcement of this feature in that users content:

http://www.chess.com/members/view/webmaster