Forums

Tournaments with people banned for cheating

Sort:
Kacparov

There are many tournaments where the winner (or any top place taker) has been banned for cheating. I think that it would be fair if the player was removed, and everyone else would move up 1 rank and gain tournament points for the higher rank. Currently people banned for cheating still get trophies and tournament points, and that's really illogical. I'm sorry if this had been brought up before (I didn't see it).

An example:

http://www.chess.com/tournament/latvian-gambit-players-internal-tournament?ncc=2#first_new_comment

http://www.chess.com/tournaments/players.html?id=19418

Gert-Jan

I agree. This happens in other kind of sports also.

Kacparov

I also have several tournaments in progress where this happened, but I preferred to post links of finished ones.

Kacparov

And it doesn't necessarily have to be 1st place, like 7th place here:

http://www.chess.com/tournaments/players.html?id=11

It would be very hard to change completed tournaments, but it shouldn't be much problem with the ones in progress.

Cruiseylee78

I think its a discrace players who are founbd to cheat keep points etc. As you say should be moved down. I keep noticing players in under 1400 and under 1600 players are rated 2300 and 2400 in it, er... obvious cheats.

SelfStuddyBuddy
Cruiseylee78 wrote:

I think its a discrace players who are founbd to cheat keep points etc. As you say should be moved down. I keep noticing players in under 1400 and under 1600 players are rated 2300 and 2400 in it, er... obvious cheats.

Being rated significantly higher than the starting tournament bracket does not indicate cheating. For instance a player may not have played enough games for their rating to have reached their level play when the tournament starts, or player might improve over the months a single round of a standard tournament can take.

Cruiseylee78
SelfStuddyBuddy wrote:
Cruiseylee78 wrote:

Being rated significantly higher than the starting tournament bracket does not indicate cheating. For instance a player may not have played enough games for their rating to have reached their level play when the tournament starts, or player might improve over the months a single round of a standard tournament can take.

Yes I understand that and im not on about those am I cos thatr would be silly. Im on about people who are rated below the elo range and have been for a while and then shoot up to 2400! And its also weird how so many players are in u1400 tourneys etc when there 2400 players. I play on another site that stop this by you need a certain amount of games and be a certain rating for a while before you can enter tournaments with rating range. And to sort it out a bit more thay after the 1st round move anyone up or down depending on there rating to make it close as possible to players of ther same ability.

Buddy-Pikata

I'm new to online chess... how do people cheat, and how can you tell if they're cheating?

Personally I don't see the point... I'd sooner improve my standing by learning how to play properly!

kohai
jezzab wrote:

I'm new to online chess... how do people cheat, and how can you tell if they're cheating?

Personally I don't see the point... I'd sooner improve my standing by learning how to play properly!

Cheating isn't a topic for the main forums. Its discussed in this group if you're interested and want to participate in the discussions on it

amodestmoose

Well, my one argument is that I get drunk too often and play blitz/standard/bullet chess.

Kacparov

What do you think about my ida Kohai? Now I see you read this topic :-)

kohai

I think its a valid point.

Kacparov

Is it hard to implement or not? That's something I can't say by myself

jgalard

just a comment on 1400 and 1600 type players.  Some may assume that if this type of player has a higher tournament score that (say 400 points higher) they are cheating.  One must take into account the in 2 and 3 day correspondence chess that the player will evaluate the postion and play better than when playing while on the clock.  But, I agree cheaters should be removed.

kohai

I don't know, as its not me who'd do it. I can only ask.

Kacparov

Ok thanks Kohai :-) Hope it can be done

nubianprince

this wrong should have been righted long ago...no time like the present!

EduardoMilanez

It happened to me once (http://www.chess.com/tournament/another-french-tarrasch-tournament). I was second. Sir-Dog was eliminated (I dont´t know why). Your proposal sounds quite reasonable.

Trickyza

I think cheaters' scores should be retroactively reset:

• all tournament game wins to be converted into draws
  • retroactively recalculate the Elo ratings for the cheater and all players who played against the cheater based on the draws
  • retroactively reassign tournament trophies and placements
Kacparov

I don't think the ratings should be changed, it would be a very big mess. But points 1 and 3, yes.