Adamson Takes Death Match 8!

• IM DanielRensch
  • on 9/25/12, 11:16 AM.

By the narrowest of margins, FIDE Master Robby Adamson -- a.k.a. "BLITZMASTER" -- pulled out a victory over International Master Dean Ippolito in Chess.com's 8th Blitz Death Match on Sunday. The final match score was 14-13 in favor of Adamson, by far the closest finish in any Death Match to date.

Down the stretch, it seemed the match could go either way! With 2 minutes of total "play time" left in the match, Adamson's lead was down to one game. Ippolito faced a must win situation... and he delivered!

Adamson lost on time before making his 37th move, and so, for the first time ever, a clear winner had not been determined after the initial 3 hours of play! The match moved to "Sudden Death" or "overtime", where the first player to achieve a victory would take home the cash prize!

The next game began right as "regulation time" expired, and not only was it the first ever "overtime battle" of any Death Match, but it was also the second consecutive game that alone was worth over $600 to each player. The winner was...

No one! The match would continue for at least one more "extra inning". The players showed no hesitation in starting the second Sudden Death game, but this time, a decisive result would be reached:

Live coverage of the match was offered on www.chess.com/tv -- with hosts IM Rensch and IM Pruess commentating throughout. The view the replay of the match, go here.

Chess.com will make the official announcement in regards to who will compete in the 9th Blitz Death Match (scheduled for Sunday, October 28th) soon!

One Vote

Comments

FM BLITZMASTER

Thanks to everyone who rooted for me. I had a great time!

koala8

This was so fun to watch the whole thing, I was rooting for Robby the whole time and he did not disappoint with a sudden death match this was a sight to see

theprodigy01

Petroff... Zzzz...

netzach

The chat continues to be useless spam.

The chess however was entertaining and fun!

gadiper

NO.....MORE....PETROFF!!!!!

NM NoRematch

drumdaddy, for most of the show, I lowered my screen resolution so I would not be distracted by the chat.  I found it more peaceful and informative with just Danny & David commenting.  Cool

WTG BLITZMASTER!

drumdaddy

A tactics fest, this Death Match was toe-to-toe action up to the final bell. It's even better to watch in the video archive of Chess.com/TV because there is no lag there, and no spam-filled chat, just great commentary.

shengyi

Nice find by deanofchess in the second to last game.

NM ChessNetwork

Congrats Blitzmaster Cool

Scottrf

The tie breaks were 1 minute with 1 second increments I believe hicetnunc. Well played BLITZMASTER!

IM DanielRensch

Bullet of course Wink...

hicetnunc

What was the time-control of the tie-breaks ?

alescia

Wow, two hours + of high stress blitz... How do you people stand it?

FM BLITZMASTER

Thanks to Chess.com for an awesome experience and to Danny and David for hosting the match. I enjoyed it a lot. I would be happy if I didnt see another Petroff for a very long time!