The Checklist - questions to ask and answer on every move.
I am working on my chess thinking, and developing good anti-blunder habits. Here is my current basic thinking plan.
- Can my opponent play a check?
- Can my opponent capture any of my pieces?
- Does my opponent pose any other immediate threats?
- What should be my strategy here - defend? improve? attack?
- Where should I play? Which part of the board has the best opportunities for me?
- What is my plan? What are my candidate moves? Where should my pieces be? How do I get them there?
- How will this move/these moves change the position? Goto 1.