Prodigy Program 2.0 Starts Jan 13th/14th!
Prodigy Program 2018 Month 1 registration is now open for our 900+, 1200+, 1500+, 1750+, and new 2000+ sections! Program starts Jan 13th/14th. Syllabi available for all sections. Keep reading to learn more.
ChessUniversity.com's Prodigy Program
Start Your Journey Towards Mastery Today!
Since its inception in December 2014, the Prodigy Program has revolutionized online chess education by introducing live, comprehensive, structured learning. Now we're launching a new version of the program, referred to as Prodigy Program 2.0, which will further enhance this program and improve the learning experience for self-paced learners too.
The Prodigy Program is the world's foremost live, structured online chess learning program that has helped over 20,000 students to improve at chess. In 2017, guest instructors teaching in the Prodigy Program included such luminaries as former World Champions Vishy Anand and Anatoly Karpov, as well as GM Peter Heine Nielsen, whose main job is to help Magnus Carlsen get even better at chess. Our regular instructors include Kairav Joshi, Chess.com's officially #1-selling coach and President of Chess University, along with FM Dalton Perrine, FM Arne Jochens, IM Lawrence Trent, IM Kostya Kavutskiy, and GM Alex Yermolinsky.
This is the program that helped Christopher Yoo to become the youngest chess master in American history at the time. By offering the highest quality of live lessons, detailed study guides, homework, review materials, and unlimited guidance from our world-class team of coaches, we provide ambitious chess players a clear path to chess improvement and mastery. The Prodigy Program is for chess players of all ages. Join the Prodigy Program if you are seeking a structured way to learn chess from the world's foremost chess instructors.
This January, we are launching the upgraded Prodigy Program 2.0, aiming to create the perfect live, online chess learning program while retaining the key elements of Prodigy Program 1.0 including live lessons, videos, study guides, etc. Content-based lessons (the core Prodigy Program material) will be pre-recorded exclusively for this new program, so that the live lessons can be reserved for interactive training purposes. This will make it much easier for students to follow the Program at their own pace.
For the first time ever, there will be five different rating sections:
900+, 1200+, 1500+, 1750+, and 2000+ Elo.
Note that these numbers refer to over-the-board Elo ratings. Online correspondence ratings tend to be inflated compared to Elo, by up to a few hundred points at lower rating levels. Contact us if you're not sure which section to join.
In the first four of these sections (900-1999 Elo), our January offer (the standard tier) will include
- four hours of live training sessions (that get recorded so students can review them),
- six hours of additional lectures recorded exclusively for this purpose,
- two detailed study guides,
- class homework and review materials,
- one puzzle packet and one final quiz, with solution videos,
- live playthrough videos,
- and full email support for students.
In the 2000+ Elo section, our January offer (the standard tier) will include
- four hours of live instruction,
- carefully chosen homework exercises for each lesson,
- instructional annotations to one of the student's own games,
- and full email support for students.
The tuition for Month 1 of the 2018 Prodigy Program is $99 for any of the five sections with the standard tier. For those on a budget, we offer a lite tier for only $25 for the 900-1750 sections that includes all four live sessions, but none of the other material. In the future there may also be a premium tier with even more perks than the standard option. Do let us know what your ideal chess instruction program would include in addition to the above.
The Prodigy Program 2.0 program begins the weekend of January 13th/14th but students may now enroll at any time and study at their own pace.
Most live lessons are taught somewhere between 9:00 AM to 1:30 PM Pacific Time, depending on section. You can see the live lesson schedule for each section by visiting ChessUniversity.com, clicking on the rating section you are interested in under "upcoming live classes" and then clicking on the "schedule" tab. On that same course page, you can also find the syllabi for these sections.
Key Areas of Study in Month 1 of the 2018 Prodigy Program 2.0
- Fundamental Endgames (basic checkmates, winning material advantages, introduction to endgame principles, practical decision-making)
- Basics of Tactics and Calculation
- Typical Incorrect Assumptions (learning from your own games)
- Endgames (facts, methods, and tricks)
- The Power of Forcing Moves (calculation training, converting dynamic advantages)
- Basics of Positional Chess (weak squares, outposts, pawn moves)
- Improving at Calculation (forcing moves, preparing tactics, quiet moves, blind spots)
- Important Practical Endgames (rook and pawn vs. rook, queen and pawn endgames)
- Common Dynamic Mistakes (learning from your own games)
- Advanced Calculation (thought process, what to calculate, in-between moves, move order)
- Combinations (principles, patterns, logic)
- Typical Miscalculations (learning from your own games)
- Deep Calculation (solvable endgames, evaluation, advanced visualization)
- Importance of understanding evaluation while performing deep calculations
- Advanced visualization
Month 1 of the 2018 Prodigy Program Registration
To sign up for Month 1 of the 2018 Prodigy Program, follow this link to Chess University's student portal: https://chessuniversity.com/
Create a free account there if you don't already have one. Otherwise simply log in.
Click on the course corresponding to the rating section you want to join here: https://chessuniversity.com/live-classes-list/
Click on "Take This Course" and complete checkout.
Email [email protected] if you have questions before signing up.
Note that it's possible to watch the recording of the first preview live lesson for free by clicking on your section's course and then selecting the "curriculum" tab.
So what are you waiting for? Start your journey towards mastery today. We hope to see you in the Prodigy Program soon!