Chess.com Dev Update: May 26, 2017
Thanks for tuning into another update!
By far the most noticeably new recent event is the Speed Chess Championships! If you haven't been watching, you've been missing out!
The battle between Giri and So was epic! Thank you for everyone for the great turn out!
Less noticed perhaps, but we've continued to make lots of progress on two of our largest projects: converting the site from angular to vue, and site wide translation bringing more and more content and languages online!
Both are actually pretty huge and will take time to finish, but we appreciate all the reports of missing/incorrect translations and pages that look a bit odd after the vue rewrite! Keep them coming, they are beyond helpful!
We do have some new tidbits as well!
- Tactics: We're received tons of feedback on the recently changes to tactics ratings and we've been listening! The ratings algorithm now has a base of +/-10 points for puzzles; but there are several others factors that determine the actual points gained or lost:
- Number of moves correct
- Solving Speed
- Ratings of puzzle vs User Rating
Additionally, many puzzles that were way over rated are slowly being corrected. Thanks again for all the feedback regarding tactics!
- Last update, we announced that Platinum and Diamonds could host up to 75 concurrent daily tournaments! Well, we upped the ante, because now each of those 75 tournaments will support as many as 250 players!
- When you view the list of all tournaments, it now includes live tournaments just like the main tournament page.
- Speaking of feedback, we've made some changes to the support portal which now allows you to securely login, ensuring proper account information so you will get the fastest possible response!
Premium members will get priority support (Thank you for your support!), but Chess.com is still 100% committed to giving all our members the fastest and best possible support!
- It's super annoying when you opponent closes their account while on vacation and you are just stuck waiting, right? Well not any more! When an account is closed, they will be auto-removed from vacation so their games will time out normally!
- With the site growing like wild and more members than ever, we want to make sure our members had the tools to avoid players they didn't wish to play, and have more than doubled the block limit to 500. Additionally, we've been cleaning up abandoned and closed accounts so they don't clutter your block limit!
We mentioned vue above, and Live has been a huge focus for this rewrite with an aim at increasing speed and stability. You deserve the best possible environment to play chess and we are working to give that to you!
Additionally, we've fixed tons of bugs including issues with rated games, analysis board, and auto-mated analysis. Please continue to let us know when you have trouble!
We do track how frequently we encounter errors in live chess as well. Here is a nice graph to show our recent progress!
Notice how much less red there is!
We're like this close to the next release! Should be submitting new release next week!
Interested in helping test the next release before it hits the store? Join the iOS club for details!
On the heels of 3.5.3, we released 3.5.4 already!
If you haven't already updated, HERE is the link!
Looking to be "in the know" for coming Android updates? Join the Chess.com Android Club for details!
As always, if you have suggestions or bugs to report use the HELP icon in the navigation, or on mobile, Send Feedback in the Settings.
Thanks for your support!