Chess - Play & Learn


FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

Zwischenzug (bless you!)

Zwischenzug (bless you!)

Jun 4, 2007, 11:41 AM 5

Chess has many technical terms for various concepts that are unfamiliar to those who haven't sampled the delights of the game.  If you say you are having trouble with "interference" for example, most people will probably think you can't get a clear TV reception.  Chessplayers on the other hand, will be aware of the use of the word to describe a rarely occurring, but aesthetically pleasing tactic, whereby an opponents pieces are forced to get in the way of each other.


My favourite piece of chess terminology is "Zwischenzug", which is a German word roughly translated as "intermediate move" or "in-between move".  Perhaps any fluent German speakers out there could let me know.  It would be nice to know how it is pronounced as well!  An example of a Zwischenzug (pay attention to the spelling, there will be a test at the end Wink), courtesy of the ever reliable Wikipedia is below.  Black moves first and falls into a trap.


 I was inspired to write this article by a problem posed in a recent post at the excellent Streatham & Brixton Chess Club blog.

Online Now