Dice Chess - for those who think that modern chess is too boring

Spektrowski
Spektrowski
Sep 12, 2016, 1:51 AM |
14

I've seen many people lamenting the "boring and drawish" modern chess. Allow me to introduce you to a joke variant of chess that incorporates the tabletop RPG mechanics - the Dice Chess.

As we all know, all captures in chess are without a fight: a piece or pawn just goes to an occupied square and immediately "kills" the opposing piece or pawn.

Let us, then, give the opposing piece some fighting chances, however slim.

When the piece makes a move to capture another piece, the player should roll a die (or use a computer RNG) to determine the attack's success.

If the attack is successful, then the move is made as usual.

If the attack fails, then the piece returns to its initial square, and the opponent gets the right to move.

If the attack critically fails, then the attacking piece is removed from the board, while the opposing piece remains.

The only exceptions to this rule are checks and mates. The king, as in chess proper, cannot remain in check, but can capture any unprotected piece on adjacent squares without rolling any dice

The main question is, of course, the proper numbers for success/failure/critical failure rolls. The attack success rate should be around 75-80%, so as not to make Dice Chess too much a game of chance, and the difference between "simple" failure and critical failure might be related to the traditional relative strength of pieces (pawn=1, bishop/knight=3, rook=5, queen=9). For instance, if the Black pawn tries to capture the White queen, it has, say, 80% chance to succeed, 18% to "fail critically" and be removed from the board, and 2% to "just fail" and remain in its initial square.

This is not "true" chess, of course, since it introduces chance into the game, but I think it could be a fun variant.