Americans at the World Cup - Round 1
Fabiano Caruana during round 1, Photo Credit Cathy Rogers
- In round 1 of the World Cup, the top 3 Americans, Hikaru Nakamura, Fabiano Caruana, and Wesley So cruised through with 2-0 scores.
- Sam Shankland defeated his slightly higher rated opponent, Ivan Popov.
- Onischuk advanced after a playoff victory over Ukraine's Andrei Volokitin.
- Ray Robson, Varuzhan Akobian, Sam Sevian, and former World Cup winner, Gata Kamsky, were all eliminated in the first round.
- Sevian made it to tiebreaks, but lost in the playoff rapid games.
For an in-depth report, check out GM Rogers' piece at US Chess News: GM Rogers on Baku: Five American Advance
Round 2 began today. Two of our best players, Nakamura and Shankland, have to face off this round. So far, they've drawn the first game. Meanwhile, Caruana, So, and Onischuk have taken the lead in their matches with wins.