A quick guide for buying the right chess set
There are so many options of buying chess sets in market today. So it becomes really hard deciding which one to go with. However a good rule is to buy the best quality set that you can afford because a good chess set lasts ages and will bring memories for the years to come. You will always feel proud when you beautifully lay your game in front of the opponent.
There are few important things which must be considered before buying a right chess set.
- 1. Purpose: Playing or for decoration?
- 2. Budget?
- 3. Match with chess board
- 4. Determining the quality of chess set?
After you have considered all the above points it becomes a lot easier to choose a chess set.
Purpose: Playing or for decoration?
- • If you are buying a chess set for regular use like carrying it to tournaments and clubs then you must opt for a sturdy double or triple weighted chess set.
• If you want to buy chess set which is convenient to carry to office or trips or to friends place or some café then you should prefer magnetic travelling chess set. They are small and compact and also named as pocket chess sets. They are beautiful handcrafted wooden sets ready for immediate use.
- If you are planning to buy a chess set for decoration then you have a wide range to choose from like practical chess sets which are used often for play, to simply for show as a decoration piece or a collectible quality.
Before buying a chess set you should fix your budgetanddependingonthat you can proceed further. If you love playing chess then you should buy the best chess that you can afford.A good quality chess set lasts longer which can be passed on to generations with memories.
Match the Chess Pieces to the Board
It is always considered to have a look at the descriptions of chess pieces like the height and base diameter of each King. It helps you find a good match board for your chess pieces. The proper square size for a set of good Staunton chess pieces is such that the width of the base of the King should be 78% of the width of a square. So, divide the King's base diameter by 0.78 and you get the proper square size. You can increase the square size by 1/8", but the square size should not be any smaller.
Alsoconsider about the color and wood type of the dark pieces in your chess set and the dark playing squares of your chess board. Choose a board accordingly which looks elegant and gives yougoodfeel ofchessgame.
Determining the quality of chess set?
The quality of the chess set can be determined in few ways. One way is by the weight of the pieces. Many wooden pieces are double or triple weighted, giving them a sturdy and more solid feel. By looking at the carving of the knight, one can make out the quality of the chess set. A set of finely carved knights and king’s decorative crown can represent up to 50% of the total cost of the chessmen.
The higher the quality, finer will be the carving of the pieces. Don’t forget to look at the quality of uniformity, turnings and finishing touch. The type of wood used in chess sets and boards is also a determine factor in the quality. Example: Ebony wood is more expensive than rosewood and then comes boxwood etc.