Jul 3, 2011, 11:13 AM 3
Some rules for the opening
- Open with either the e-pawn or the d-pawn.
- Wherever possible, make a good developing move which threatens something or adds to the pressure on the centre.
- Develop knights before bishops.
- Pick the most suitable square for a piece and develop it there once and for all.
- Make one or two pawn moves in the opening, not more.
- Do not bring your queen out too early.
- Castle as soon as possible, preferably on the king's side.
- Play to get control of the centre.
- Always try to maintain at least one pawn in the centre.
- Do not sacrifice material without a clear and adequate reason, eg.:
- it secures a tangible advantage in development
- it prevents the opponent from castling
- it enables a strong attack to be developed