Sep 15, 2011, 2:54 AM 0
- There are 318, 979, 564, 000 possible ways to play the first four moves of a chess game on each side of the board.
- The first chess champion of the world was Wilhelm Steinitz. He defeated Johannes Zukertort in 1886.
- ·American chess champion, Bobby Fischer, played his last match against Boris Spassky in 1992. He won the match after disappearing for 20 years.
- · In 1891, a group in Dublin, Ireland formed the “Club of Living Chess,” where live players were used as the pieces. The group performed for charity events.
- · The USSR banned blind chess in 1930. Authorities felt that a player’s mental health was in danger when they played without being able to see the board.
- · In September 1976, Edward Lasker, then 90 years old, took part in the tetex chess match between New York and London. It’s believed he is the oldest person to participate in an international tournament.
- · The shortest chess game recorded lasted from only one move. It was played between Rogoff and Huber in 1972.
- · The youngest Grandmaster was Bacrot was only fourteen years, 2 months old in 1977 when he received the title.
by Mary M. Alward