Leadership Quotes and Core Values at our University
The following are the Core Values that should be our trademark as a Western institution of higher learning in Kazakhstan, approved by the Board of Trustees at a Nov. 20, 2009 meeting.
1. We value the well-being of our students, faculty, and staff.
2. We encourage personal and professional development in an environment of collegiality and trust.
3.We value quality in our education programs and research activities.
4. We value the holistic development of our students, instilling in them a questioning spirit and the ability and desire to learn throughout life.
5. We value our responsibility to develop the future leaders of society who will embrace the highest ethical standards.
6. We value the creation, application, and dissemination of knowledge in a culture which fully supports the freedom of inquiry and speech.
7. We value fairness and integrity and will not tolerate favoritism, nepotism or corruption.
8. We value open, honest communications and transparent and accountable decision-making.
9. We value partnerships with our community, including the parents of our students, business, government, and non-government organizations, within The Republic of Kazakhstan and throughout the world.
10. We value the high reputation of our Institute in the Republic of Kazakhstan and beyond, and also its important contribution to the growth of society.
11.We value all people both within and outside our organization, regardlessof their nationality, religion, gender or other factors not related to the purposes of the Institution.
Here are some good leadership quotes I found off the Internet, applies to here or anywhere, I suppose.
James MacGregor Burns – “Leadership is one of the most observed and least understood phenomena on earth.”
”Leadership is the ability to establish standards and manage a creative climate where people are self-motivated toward the mastery of long term constructive goals, in a participatory environment of mutual respect, compatible with personal values.” Mike Vance
”No institution can possibly survive if it needs geniuses or supermen to manage it. It must be organized in such a way as to be able to get along under a leadership composed of average human beings.” Peter Drucker
”Leadership is not magnetic personality, that can just as well be a glib tongue. It is not “making friends and influencing people”, that is flattery. Leadership is lifting a person’s vision to higher sights, the raising of a person’s performance to a higher standard, the building of a personality beyond its normal limitations.” Peter F. Drucker
“You do not lead by hitting people over the head — that’s assault, not leadership.” Dwight D. Eisenhower
“A leader is best when people barely know he exists, not so good when people obey and acclaim him, worst when they despise him. But of a good leader, who talks little, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say, ‘We did this ourselves.’” Lao-Tse
Dwight D. Eisenhower: “Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it.”
Thomas Fulera: “If your actions inspire other people to dream more, to study more, to do more and to become better, then you are a leader.”
“High sentiments always win in the end, The leaders who offer blood, toil, tears and sweat always get more out of their followers than those who offer safety and a good time. When it comes to the pinch, human beings are George Orwell
Winston Churchill: “Before you can inspire with emotion, you must be swamped with it yourself. Before you can move their tears, your own must flow. To convince them, you must yourself believe.”