Forums
Forums

Jaques antique chessmen

Sort:
magictwanger

Btw Christopher....Hope we're good.happy

lighthouse
magictwanger wrote:

Btw Christopher....Hope we're good.

Yes We are good magictwanger / Just find jokes like this insensitive .evil

MCH818
Jaques-Lover wrote:

Thank you, MCH818 - that is very kind of you to say that! Honestly speaking, I think I will most likely not make any new purchases in the foreseeable future... At present, I have 14 Jaques sets, and I am afraid, with their increasing scarcity, the prices for these sets just keep increasing and increasing. The only thing I am still aiming at is to find a nice Jaques "Anderssen" set (preferably club size) for my best friend´s 60th birthday - but I have a few years until then!

Wow! That is so generous of you to give a gift like that. I think your best friend won’t be able to sleep for a month after that. 
oh and I agree. These Jaques sets will become more and more scarce as time goes on. What can be had today may not be available in 5-10 years.

DeDEtlev67

Though jacques set are nice and highly valued, I have seen some of the prestine dubrovnik antiques go for prices upwards of hundred thousand euros. So those would be the most important.

Jaques-Lover

DeDEtlev67, I am afraid I most profoundly disagree - the so-called "Dubrovnik" chessmen are not only by far less relevant than antique "Jaques" (and certainly by far less collectible), in my opinion, those "Dubrovnik" chessmen are by far the ugliest and most unaesthetic chessmen I have ever seen.

Tim_BIB

I would state that people in UK would have a preference for Jacques style staunton chessmen and US based would prefer The Dubs.

To each his own. !!.

Beauty can be subjective but Dubrovniks should'nt be qualified as an ugly set. That title should remain with the Pentagram designed World Chess Set. tongue.png

magictwanger

I'm in the U.S and though I own and like my Dub set,I far prefer the Jaques style. One can't generalize when it comes to personal tastes.

MCH818

I love both. I recently bought two antique Jaques sets and love them very much. At some point in the future, I will try (and probably fail) to find and buy a vintage Dubrovnik. I saw another member’s vintage set and just love it.

lighthouse
DeDEtlev67 wrote:

Though jacques set are nice and highly valued, I have seen some of the prestine dubrovnik antiques go for prices upwards of hundred thousand euros. So those would be the most important.

I two have both , If i was too chose + money would go down the same path as  Jaques-Lover what a collection . Just the DNA of history + time line of a world now gone & lost for ever .

As for a Dubrovnik antique chess set's you are only talking from the 50's & up to the 80's . Now if you was to say that theses set are rare & hard to find , Then yes if it's a Jakopovic .

To me this set's take on the 50's atomic age from a Socialist workers standing , with a Art deco touch . Now a set selling for hundred thousand euros. What is your source ?

DeDEtlev67 As this would have Josip Broz Tito turning in his grave .

queendanna
Jaques-Lover wrote:

DeDEtlev67, I am afraid I most profoundly disagree - the so-called "Dubrovnik" chessmen are not only by far less relevant than antique "Jaques" (and certainly by far less collectible), in my opinion, those "Dubrovnik" chessmen are by far the ugliest and most unaesthetic chessmen I have ever seen.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the Dubrovnik set either. I wouldn't say they're ugly, just not really my thing.

Powderdigit

How tastes change - well, at least mine.
I remember when I first started out - I found it difficult to like any of the Jaques knights - heads pointing straight out, stubby short snouts, drop jaws, relatively small head to oversized bodies. They just didn’t appeal to me - at all. 
I preferred other styles, particularly those knights where the head was bowed down a little - the lines seemed more fluid, stylish and beautiful.

Now, I get it more - I think it’s tied to my better understanding of the history, depth and influence of the design. A classic is a classic for good reason. 
Unfortunately, my knowledge is only based on visuals - I do not have a Jaques set nor have I seen any in the flesh - and I imagine that’s where the magic happens. The closest I get is my old Bakelite set and I do enjoy the size, scale and playability of the pieces - from the substantive knight to the stocky rook.

For all that, I still prefer knights their heads bowed.

As a recent convert to the ‘50’s-style Dubrovnik - I don’t consider them ugly - indeed, I think the lines are harmonious in the knight and the whole set is well balanced - still…. I can see why others don’t like them too.

I reckon if I saw any originals - Jaques or Jakopovic - I might be struck by the beauty of both. 
And when I comment again in a year or two - I am sure my tastes will have evolved again.

countertheory
magictwanger wrote:

Thank God! I was getting nervous.

I think the give-away (not that anyone should have needed one for such an innocent quip) was the emoji at the end. When the author goes to the trouble of dispelling any doubt with a symbol of harmless intentions like this, we really don't need to worry.....happy

gina880

Hey @Powderdigit

How does Bakelite compare to wood in terms of look and feel. Does it feel as premium as a top end wood set. What is the weight of the set.?

MCH818

I often wonder the same thing as @gina880. I remember reading in one of the threads that bakelite is one solid piece.

GH_1977

It appears to be more like plastic although a bit heavier

Powderdigit
Sorry, I missed the original question. In short - you could not confuse Bakelite with wood, in the flesh. Maybe in photos but not in person.

It’s a hard plastic, shiny … my pieces are weighted and it’s magnificent but no it isn’t in the same realm as wood.

As a collector, I love it (my Bakelite pieces and chess clocks) but if I could have that style of mine in wood, I would prefer it for sure.

Beautiful wooden pieces feel and look more natural … perhaps with the exception on high-gloss wooden sets - I have one of those and weirdly, while it looks great / it feels sharper and more plastic like. I don’t imagine buying a high gloss wood set again, only buffed.
DesperateKingWalk
Powderdigit wrote:
Sorry, I missed the original question. In short - you could not confuse Bakelite with wood, in the flesh. Maybe in photos but not in person.
It’s a hard plastic, shiny … my pieces are weighted and it’s magnificent but no it isn’t in the same realm as wood.
As a collector, I love it (my Bakelite pieces and chess clocks) but if I could have that style of mine in wood, I would prefer it for sure.
Beautiful wooden pieces feel and look more natural … perhaps with the exception on high-gloss wooden sets - I have one of those and weirdly, while it looks great / it feels sharper and more plastic like. I don’t imagine buying a high gloss wood set again, only buffed.

I have never found high gloss chess set and chess boards desirable. I know they are popular with many collectors. But players tend to have a dislike for high gloss chess equipment.

lighthouse

Would be nice to stay on point which is Jaques antique chessmen ! not repro Bakelite etc ,

As this is such a nice thread on some very rare special chess sets .

Jaques-Lover

My latest acquisition, a Jaques "Anderssen" club size set (KH 10.2 cm), ca. 1863-1865:

magictwanger

My God! Just sensational.....What a phenomenal collection you've put together. You must have scoured the chess world for all of the amazing vintage gems you own. I'm sure it wasn't easy and took quite a bit of time,but oh so gratifying.....Great job.happy