Forums

1972 Skopje Yugoslavia Olympiad Chess Set How about a replica?

Sort:
BurnAmos

"Unfortunately, none are clear enough to make a replica possible"

Well...I don´t agree. The pictures are more than sufficient clear enough to make a decent replica of this fascinating set. To me, more beautiful than the "Dub", elegant and wonderful shapely. This set is so, so rare that deserves a replica. But who cares?

More photos:

BurnAmos

similaritie, perhaps, but many differences in completely different pawns, rooks i (bases), the bishops are more "Russian" one, the Knight very diferent. Only the King and Queen have many similarities. THe Skopje set is a very diferent set from Portoroz. I have no doubt that set was  only manufactured for the Olympiade 72. Perhaps in Macedonia there are still copies of this Set. GM Matulovic plays with one of these sets.

goodknightmike
BurnAmos wrote:

"Unfortunately, none are clear enough to make a replica possible"

Well...I don´t agree. The pictures are more than sufficient clear enough to make a decent replica of this fascinating set. To me, more beautiful than the "Dub", elegant and wonderful shapely. This set is so, so rare that deserves a replica. But who cares?

More photos:

Hey BurnAmos my friend, I care and I'm sure many other collectors also. I still think we need clearer pictures of the pieces, especially the Knights. Here's another pic of the set

goodknightmike
rcmacmillan wrote:

Actually, although not a true replica, the Noj Portoroz 08 seems to take many of its styling cues from this set. Compare carefully to the third and fourth pics above.

Pic swiped from https://www.noj.si/uploads/Image/2012/portorož%20rjav.jpg

Robert, I'd say the King's cross and the Rooks look similar. 

Ronbo710

Hi Mike Those Knights look a little like my Jogo Aberto set Knights I have inbound!

JamieDelarosa

The tournament book for the Olympiad, by Ray Keene and David Levy, has many good quality monochrome pictures of the set.

mhp1503
Eyechess wrote:

Here are a couple more pictures I found.

The top picture is of Walter Browne at the event.  I think this picture shows some of the pieces nicely.

No. Those pieces were used in Wijk aan Zee. Dutch type!

goodknightmike
Ronbo710 wrote:

Hi Mike Those Knights look a little like my Jogo Aberto set Knights I have inbound!

Thanks Ron, yes they do!

goodknightmike
JamieDelarosa wrote:

The tournament book for the Olympiad, by Ray Keene and David Levy, has many good quality monochrome pictures of the set.

Thanks Jamie, now I have to get a copy of that book

DubroMan
[COMMENT DELETED]
DubroMan

Original from the tournament...

goodknightmike
NadinTheChessExpert wrote:

Original from the tournament...

WOW Nadin, gorgeous set, is this your set?

DubroMan

It is mine,I will post more pictures in couple of days.

informaticacobach29

That's a really gorgeous set Nadin!

Please share more pictures with us when you have a chance

cgrau

Yes, Nadin, more pictures, please!

DubroMan

I will make very high quality replica of this set too,it will be available in moth or two.

DubroMan

Sorry I had to remove the picture,I am afraid that someone will copy it,as soon as I make the replica I will post a lot of pictures of the original.

goodknightmike

I will make very high quality replica of this set too,it will be available in moth or two.

That's good Nadin, who's making the replica for you?

goodknightmike

Sorry I had to remove the picture,I am afraid that someone will copy it,as soon as I make the replica I will post a lot of pictures of the original.

Nadin, I did look at the pictures of the Olympiad sets shown in  this forum.  I noticed those bishops are significantly different than the bishops in your set. The other pieces looked similar. Your thoughts on the different bishops?

DubroMan

I am making the replica,I have about 50+ woodturning tools and woodcarving tools.I also made some sets in past but nothing serious.What woods would you like to see,weighted or unweighted,felt or leather,Wooden storage box or storage box covered with leather.I will also make replicas of Jakopovic Dubrovnik,thankfully I have a lot of original sets like Skoplje 1972 set,Dubrovnik sets and some others so I will be able to make pretty close replicas.Also I will be provided with Havana 1966 chess pieces so you can expect quality replicas of those too.