Forums

Chavet WCC sets 1990 & 2000

Sort:
Ronbo710

Hi All - I can say (with certainty) my Chavet collection is complete nowhappy.png. Just received this near mint 1990 era #6 set - again from England. The box has a Great "seal" on it too ! I have put each piece next to it's cousin from the 2000 Kasparov Kramnik WCC match for comparison. The 2000 set is truly a MONSTER lol. With a plus 4"King. I prefer the 1990 era set myself. To me it is the Ultimate Design. I'll take some better pics after I've had some zzz's wink.png . Cheers -Ronbo  standard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpg

FrankHelwig

Great-looking set. Congratulations!

ActuallySleepy
Beautiful. Can't wait to look at the new pictures tomorrow.
Impractical

Wow.  Truly a beautiful set.  Congratulations.  And thank you for the pictures happy.png

fewlio

the knights look comfy to pinch hold!

cgrau
Awesome, Ron! Congrats!
Ronbo710

Thanks for the replies Gents. Here's a few more pics and a couple close ups. BTW the reference number for this set is shown on the label for those in the hunt. Good Luck happy.png !! standard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpgstandard.jpg

UpcountryRain

Very nice, Ronbo710. Mahalo for sharing.

Audioq

Very nice set. I much prefer the vintage over the 2000 set, which looks like a prototype for their current effort. I thought you had a set with ebony stain per your last post? I guess this is a newer version.  I love these sets, they just look so right when on the board.

phphFGPiZ.jpeg

Ronbo710
Audioq wrote:

Very nice set. I much prefer the vintage over the 2000 set, which looks like a prototype for their current effort. I thought you had a set with ebony stain per your last post? I guess this is a newer version.  I love these sets, they just look so right when on the board.

Hi Audio - You're right I also have that ebony stain version and it is 20 plus years old. I think if the management at Chavet would read these posts, watch the video below and look at recent auction results Wink they would be re-issuing their earlier version of these sets. Cheers - R  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVcpelqT_Dw&t=6s

Audioq

Definitely. What amazes me is that no one has yet produced a close approximation of this set either. The only possible issue would be the knight which is distinctly a chavet knight and may not be capable of being directly copied but all the other pieces have been used in many other sets e.g. ajedrez, dujardin etc. A few small changes/upgrades to the knight and there it is. Particularly since Chavet are not actually manufacturing or selling this set currently. I have thought about making one or two myself but while making a few pieces is easy, making full sets is a pain. Cheers

foreverwin

GREAT!!!! 

I envy you (in a good way)
Where did you get it?

Ronbo710

I won that one on the auction site wink.png. I had to sell two vintage Drueke sets which I had extras of to get it. But I was determined not to be out bid happy.png

foreverwin

Great decision! Congratulations!

althus

Hm, do you have a reference number for the year 2000 set?  I have a thing for WCC sets and would like to know happy.png

Ronbo710
althus wrote:

Hm, do you have a reference number for the year 2000 set?  I have a thing for WCC sets and would like to know

Thanks for asking Laughing. Here is a pic of both box stickers. It is on the right Ref. B-212 . Also check out this video at 1:11:24 and you can see a close up of the pieces ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYM2ewWPNec&t=3250s   

althus
Ronbo710 wrote:
althus wrote:

Hm, do you have a reference number for the year 2000 set?  I have a thing for WCC sets and would like to know

Thanks for asking . Here is a pic of both box stickers. It is on the right Ref. B-212 . Also check out this video at 1:11:24 and you can see a close up of the pieces ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYM2ewWPNec&t=3250s   

Thank you!! 

And, ha, I've known about those KK videos for a good while now, and was actually looking at that EXACT same moment of that very same video last night, before I posted!   Just to make sure for myself that it really is a Chavet.  The ball on the Queen proves it. 

There are two Holy Grails of WCC sets for me, that I would love to confirm:  What kind of Jaques Staunton was used in Baguio '78, and where are the Kasparov-Karpov pieces now.  They must exist somewhere, but haven't been seen since 1987.

Ronbo710

I know I am strange but I would take a vintage Chavet set over a Jaques set any day. The shape of the Chavet set is Pure Art to me grin.png.

Audioq
Ronbo710 wrote:

I know I am strange but I would take a vintage Chavet set over a Jaques set any day. The shape of the Chavet set is Pure Art to me .

Completely agree. I had a few Jaques sets but sold them since I just didn't like to play with them as much as the Chavet or even a good Lardy set. Plus cracking is less of an issue with the vintage french stauntons though they are still weighty enough for serious play. Only issue with these sets is that they may develop warped stems and since they were never marketed as a luxury set some of the turning can be a bit rough.

RobertJames_Sailo

Which chess board is this mr Ronbo?