Clock recommendations/ advice

chessweiqi
Hi all, I currently own the Excalibur, a $40 plastic robust clock which is on 12 years maybe a few more? It’s served me well but I think it’s time for an upgrade. I’m currently looking at the ztap n set clock made by zmart and endorsed by USCF, or the gtx chronos clocks. Downsides to ztap is it’s made of plastic so it won’t look or feel as nice but the price is a bargain almost and it’s convenient to set I expect with the app... downside is FIDE rated events or uscf with lots of money require the phone to be out of the playing hall essentially. The downside to the gtx is the huge premium price and I’m unaware of how many time controls it can support, as well as if it’s easy to set. Any opinions are welcome or other suggestions. P.S. don’t like look of dgt North American clocks in general.
chessweiqi
Also never used a zmart clock so if I set it manually is it super hard?
Eyechess
Based on what you say I would tell you to get the Chronos GX.
KineticPawn

Check out this thread for a deeper review but I agree with chronos GX

chess-clocks-2018

Fish-Killer

The Zmf clocks have FIDE settings. They are cheaper than the Chronos. 

chessweiqi
Fish-Killer wrote:

The Zmf clocks have FIDE settings. They are cheaper than the Chronos. 

I don't like the Zmf style... hence I'd probably go with the Ztap n set if I go with a zmart clock...

RussBell

https://chessbookreviews.wordpress.com/2016/09/02/time-for-a-new-clock/

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-equipment/v-tek-300-chess-clock-review?page=1

PatAtty
You can set the TAP N SET clock from your phone from your hotel room, car, etc., before you enter the tournament hall, then just leave your phone outside the playing hall. If you make a mistake in setting it, you can manually set it inside the playing hall just like any other ZmartFun clock. Full disclosure: I own the clock and wrote the patent application for the clock.
chessweiqi
PatAtty wrote:
You can set the TAP N SET clock from your phone from your hotel room, car, etc., before you enter the tournament hall, then just leave your phone outside the playing hall. If you make a mistake in setting it, you can manually set it inside the playing hall just like any other ZmartFun clock. Full disclosure: I own the clock and wrote the patent application for the clock.

Oh wow! That's cool. I have two questions for you... the outer cover is made of plastic... does it look/feel like a cheap plastic? Or does it feel nice? And I've never own a zmartfun clock, so I was wondering how hard it is to set? (Note I only have set Excaliburs which have presets on the back + 5 user modes (over 100 presets on bottom) and I know where to access everything (i.e. delay and increment) separately if needed... So can you walk me through what setting the zmartfun clocks are like? 

chessweiqi

Thanks for the link. Took a look at it, and it's basically verifying the 3 clocks I'm looking at.

PatAtty
If you have an iPhone or Android phone the easiest thing to do is just go to the app store, search TAP N SET, download the free app and play with it. There are a ton of presets you can scroll through. You can save favorites for time controls you use all the time. Or you can set the times for an individual game in the app. Once you set the time in the app. you click "Write" and then tap the phone to the top of the clock. It literally takes seconds to set the clock with your phone. As for the case it is a typical plastic housing. It is not as solid as wood or metal but I have no problem with it. I've played both Blitz and longer time control games with it. Setting the clock manually without app is easy too. There are Youtube videos for ZmartFun II clock that step you through it. The written manual is available on ZmartFun website. If you really want detail and want to read the patent application go to pat2pdf.org or Google patents and search for 20190355186. You can get a pdf of the published patent application I wrote. That will surely put you to sleep!
fishyvishy

Just get $3 clock from Ikea - not a fan of the second hand noise though.

chessweiqi
PatAtty wrote:
If you have an iPhone or Android phone the easiest thing to do is just go to the app store, search TAP N SET, download the free app and play with it. There are a ton of presets you can scroll through. You can save favorites for time controls you use all the time. Or you can set the times for an individual game in the app. Once you set the time in the app. you click "Write" and then tap the phone to the top of the clock. It literally takes seconds to set the clock with your phone. As for the case it is a typical plastic housing. It is not as solid as wood or metal but I have no problem with it. I've played both Blitz and longer time control games with it. Setting the clock manually without app is easy too. There are Youtube videos for ZmartFun II clock that step you through it. The written manual is available on ZmartFun website. If you really want detail and want to read the patent application go to pat2pdf.org or Google patents and search for 20190355186. You can get a pdf of the published patent application I wrote. That will surely put you to sleep!

Awesome! Thanks... One last question... do you have the buttons version? I want to know how tactile they feel? Do they use cherry mechanical switches (like I think Chronos does?) 

PatAtty
I have the touch sensor version - sorry! The push button version uses those cherry colored momentary contact push buttons.
chessweiqi
PatAtty wrote:
I have the touch sensor version - sorry! The push button version uses those cherry colored momentary contact push buttons.

yeah I saw! It's just I would get the buttons if I know what it feels like... because it's so satisfying to click mechanical switches... however if it uses something else, then I would obviously get a touch sensor.