Looking for tips to restore an old chess set

wgnoyes

I just scraped off the old felt. It usually gave way with little resistance. 

dajamps

one tip if the old felt doesn't give way easily - spray goo gone or goof off on it first. Saturate it, then it will come off and leave basically no residue!!

IpswichMatt
Manu_314 wrote:

I think I can live with the pieces as they are, only changing the baize. I am more concerned about the cracks on the bottom of the board getting bigger.

 

Are these cracks? You're talking about the underside of the board, right? It looks more like the veneer is coming off. If you want to stabilize it you could try minimum viscosity superglue on the underside, it should wick under the veneer and strengthen it. Try a tiny bit first to ensure you're happy.

You'll want some acetone handy too if you're using superglue, it's quite annoying if you get it on your skin

Manu_314
IpswichMatt wrote:
Manu_314 wrote:

I think I can live with the pieces as they are, only changing the baize. I am more concerned about the cracks on the bottom of the board getting bigger.

 

Are these cracks? You're talking about the underside of the board, right? It looks more like the veneer is coming off. If you want to stabilize it you could try minimum viscosity superglue on the underside, it should wick under the veneer and strengthen it. Try a tiny bit first to ensure you're happy.

You'll want some acetone handy too if you're using superglue, it's quite annoying if you get it on your skin

Yes, it is the veneer (didn't know the word) coming off that concerns me. You can literally peel it with your hands!

Do you mean lifting it with care and applying the glue in-between or just applying it on the outer side and letting it infiltrate?

Thank you for your comments, they are really helpful, and my board will thank them for sure.

IpswichMatt

I meant just let it infiltrate. I used the word wick because that’s how wax goes up the wick on a candle. It’s actually called capillary action, since low viscosity super glue has very low surface tension it’s very good at infiltrating. 

Try just a drop or two at first and see if you’re happy. It is possible to wipe away the excess with acetone, even after the glue sets.

You’ll probably want some “super glue precision tips” too, search on eBay for those and you’ll see what they are.

endgame347

Post some pictures of the pieces when you've got time please bro

Manu_314
endgame347 wrote:

Post some pictures of the pieces when you've got time please bro

Here you go:


Quite simple, as I said, but lovely.

Manu_314
IpswichMatt wrote:

I meant just let it infiltrate. I used the word wick because that’s how wax goes up the wick on a candle. It’s actually called capillary action, since low viscosity super glue has very low surface tension it’s very good at infiltrating. 

Try just a drop or two at first and see if you’re happy. It is possible to wipe away the excess with acetone, even after the glue sets.

You’ll probably want some “super glue precision tips” too, search on eBay for those and you’ll see what they are.

Yes, I think I will order some (I've seen a pack of 40 for less than $5, shipping included). I will see if I'm happy with the results and try to repair it. Thank you! happy.png