Forums

My Botvinnik-Flohr Version II 1950's original

Sort:
Ronbo710

Hi  All - Received this one from St. Petersburg in amazing condition. An original Soviet era tournament set from the 1950's. These were used at the top levels of the time. They can be seen in The Soviet Championships book and several vintage photos of that era. This set also has the red baize bottoms which seem to be prevalent on tournament sets of the time as well. It is on my modern Drueke 2.25" board (for size reference).  Enjoy happy.png ...

fightingbob

I can't say I like all these vintage Soviet sets, particularly when I see the mediocre varnish jobs, but I absolutely love the sleek, stylish look and nice finish on this Botvinnik-Flohr 1950's set.  I'm hardly ever jealous of other's chess sets, but I'll make an exception in this case. grin.png  Great acquisition, Ron!

Ronbo710
fightingbob wrote:

I can't say I like all these vintage Soviet sets, particularly when I see the mediocre varnish jobs, but I absolutely love the sleek, stylish look and nice finish on this Botvinnik-Flohr 1950's set.  I'm hardly ever jealous of other's chess sets, but I'll make an exception in this case.   Great acquisition, Ron!

Thanks Bob happy.png . I must admit the 70's and later Soviet sets were pretty garish with their "amber waves of slop" varnish techniques. But if you find the early sets like this one and the uber rare GM sets of the late 50's early 60's the varnish is quite even. 

MichaelKandrac

I too like the look of the set from an aesthetic appreciation viewpoint but I'm totally put off by the design of the bishops due to their resemblance to the design of the queens.  I suppose one could get used to the difference with enough practice - the Russians clearly did!

IpswichMatt

Very nice!

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to Soviet sets - how do you know it's an original and not a reproduction?

Ronbo710
IpswichMatt wrote:

Very nice!

I'm fairly ignorant when it comes to Soviet sets - how do you know it's an original and not a reproduction?

Age mostly. Also buy the seller not the set. I have bought several sets from this seller who deals with some of the greatest collectors and sources in the former U.S.S.R. I have also seen original examples of this set in person twice and this is no different. There is a reproduction of this set in existence but it is way off in design. Similar to how the Chavet reproduction sets are just not quite right.