Forums

Post Your Chess Sets

Sort:
magictwanger

Thanks for the show of "class" Eyechess.....I figured you probably read the comments at a fast clip and did not fully digest my rather silly comment.

Btw,I only own one platform board,but lust for one more which is unlikely.....Too bad the stock market is taking such a huge hit....Drats!

developingdave

Here's some boards I made, looking for input/opinions. Thanks!

Marksaheel

Look great Disco Dave. Whatever you like is cool. Keep developing!

JustBeatsy

@developingdave - I'm very much a traditionalist and choose wood over anything else for myself, and always will. But I have to say, these are striking and look really good. The plain dark squares nicely balance the "busier" look of the light ones. Very nice. FWIW, you've won over a long-term skeptic of "non-traditional" materials with these boards. To look at, anyway.

Except the pink one. Too girly for this fragile male ego... happy.png 

GrandPatzerDave
JustBeatsy wrote:

@developingdave - I'm very much a traditionalist and choose wood over anything else for myself, and always will. But I have to say, these are striking and look really good. The plain dark squares nicely balance the "busier" look of the light ones. Very nice. FWIW, you've won over a long-term skeptic of "non-traditional" materials with these boards. To look at, anyway.

Except the pink one. Too girly for this fragile male ego...  

Just think of it as the spilled blood of your opponent and you'll be fine!  wink

I do like the boards but I'm more of a matte/satin guy than a gloss guy - the reflection of an up-nostril view of my opponent doesn't appeal, for some reason...  tongue

magictwanger

That being said,you must be really glad you never played Jimmy Durante.tongue

nojchess

My original Chavet B210

MCH818

Nice set NojChess. I have one just like it.

magictwanger

Looks like armies on the march ...MCH

Btw,nice board off to the side.

MCH818

Yeah both armies are lining up for battle.

Decallo

Rechapados Ferrer Walnut 50mm + Jacques Staunton n.5 (Hot games)

michaelcausey7
nojchess wrote:

My original Chavet B210

That's some gorgeous wood...I'm sure you put it to good use.

Kowarenai

Grantpogi
Sheldor66 wrote:

Not an ordinary chess set but I think it's well placed here. Tri-dimensional chess set.

That's look like Star Trek chess!

BrothertheCloud

Thanks to everyone for posting your sets. I’ve really enjoyed looking through this thread, so many great pieces and boards!

Here’s the first set I ever got, which I picked up in the Philippines in the late 80s/early 90s:

BrothertheCloud

And here’s the second set I have. Picked this up when I got back into chess earlier this year. HoS Sussex.

Powderdigit

Hey @BrothertheCloud - lovely sets, thanks for posting. I love that you purchased your Phillipines set when you were there many years ago. I was able to buy one via Holger Langer in Germany recently and I love it’s rugged simplicity. 👍

BrothertheCloud

And here’s my last set. It’s the HoS Teramo, but I’m a sucker for figured wood so got it in Zebrano. Needs a bigger board but I don’t mind the pieces being a bit cosy.

BrothertheCloud
Powderdigit wrote:

Hey @BrothertheCloud - lovely sets, thanks for posting. I love that you purchased your Phillipines set when you were there many years ago. I was able to buy one via Holger Langer in Germany recently and I love it’s rugged simplicity. 👍

Cheers! And yeah, I saw Holder’s posts where he was selling the NOS Philippines sets, I was almost tempted to get another since my set is a bit smaller  

Your set looks great!, and completely agree they are a lovely daily player. Mine have taken a battering over the past 30-odd years and still enjoy using them.

michaelcausey7

Very nice Brother C. I've always loved the bishops on the Sussex set. Angled miters are so much more accurate to the real thing than all theses rounded ones we see today. Thanks for sharing!