Forums

Post Your Chess Sets

Sort:
Welsh-Corgi
wildthingthing wrote:

That’s just it. I cannot find ANY reference to this WW2 set anywhere. I know it is pewter and made in England-but none on EBay or anywhere’s else I could find. P51’s - infantry of the air? I have a wooden “History channel club member (Civil War)” board (budget board only) on the way for the WW2 set. Inexpensive and had storage in it. 
The dragon board is pretty cool. Seems carved out of a single rock- agate of some type. Someone spent a lot of time carving it…probably going to build a wooden chessboard that will fit into/onto the rock tray and cover the checkerboard that is there.

Dang

RichColorado
magictwanger wrote:

Richcolorado.......God Bless You Man!

I hope you go another 86 years! Maybe a 300 game is in your future.

Thanks . . . I've had a 300 and 1/2 a dozen 295 to 290 . . .

Better woulds have been a 800 series for three games. My highest has been 759 series.

Now I'm happy when I bowl a 200 . . .

ogouriev
DesperateKingWalk wrote:

Very nice....

I also ordered a chess board from JimAndsonWoods. A maple and cherry chess board with feet.

I hear the man does great work.... And my chess board is in his pipeline, and should be made and shipped to me this month.

Nice ... Please, make sure to let us know how it turns out, with pictures and all. After seeing desbutal's board I want to order very similar for myself.

DesperateKingWalk
ogouriev wrote:
DesperateKingWalk wrote:

Very nice....

I also ordered a chess board from JimAndsonWoods. A maple and cherry chess board with feet.

I hear the man does great work.... And my chess board is in his pipeline, and should be made and shipped to me this month.

Nice ... Please, make sure to let us know how it turns out, with pictures and all. After seeing desbutal's board I want to order very similar for myself.

I will do that for you. The board has been made and shipped, and should be at my door on Friday. If the tracking is correct....

BigFoxy90

Just ordered one of these beauties today. I'm excited for my first Staunton Set! I'm on a limited budget, but I was finally able to spoil myself a LITTLE bit. This is the Wild Knight Series set. I've gone with the Golden Rosewood and Natural Boxwood pieces as they seem to pair better with the aesthetic of the board, but that's just this man's humble opinion. I'm excited and I'm looking forward to sharing the pictures with all of you when it arrives. 
Best vibes to everyone as always. happy.png

BrownishGerbil

@BigFoxy90 very nice set, you'll get tons of enjoyment out of it!

robroy865

It took me 4 years to make my own set but I am very happy with it!

Here are a few action shots:

wildthingthing
Yenster1 wrote:

And you can get the boards in various sizes, materials (like stone), and colors to your liking. You may be lucky enough to find a board that fits exactly, but if not, a little overhang would work too.

Ok - sounds good to me. The Squares on the current board are 1.25". One of those without a surround (Board goes right to the edge) would do nicely. Recommendations on where I could get 1.25" Square size, no surround board?

Yenster1
wildthingthing wrote:

Ok - sounds good to me. The Squares on the current board are 1.25". One of those without a surround (Board goes right to the edge) would do nicely. Recommendations on where I could get 1.25" Square size, no surround board?

@wildthingthing It looks like your playing area is only 10 x 10 inches, which is on the small side, so your options will be limited. I don't see any 10" borderless boards, but a 12" board may be a better option and may only overhang about a 1/2" on each side. This will give you a little more room for slightly larger pieces (though still not full size sets). You'll want to just take a ruler and see if something like this $60 12" board on Etsy would work for you. Shop around, and good luck.

wildthingthing

@yenster1 - WOW that is a pretty board on Etsy. I could buy it at slightly oversized then mill out the underside inner so that is sits tolerance fit over the outside ledge of the current board (then use those BluTack glue gummies to hold it in place) . Just got to make sure there isn't too much over shadow of the dragons. Am starting moving a friend into my shop this weekend (1st Trailer load) - he has a FULL woodshop he is setting up...maybe make my own board (3 garages of equipment we are consolidating and setting up - trying to fit it all into 800 square feet.). I DID get that History Channel Lifetime member board and put the WW2 set on it...

desbutal

Just got this smaller board for bringing to bars and stuff. Insane deal on Chess Bazaar for the pieces (Collector Series, 2.6" king), board (one of the roll up wooden ones), and a faux leather bag for the pieces (which is honestly far too big for these pieces, but whatever, I have plenty of other little bags that work great) — all for $140 ($120 after applying the credits I had from my previous purchase). Super happy with these little guys. The quality and detail is very, very rare for pieces this small.

From the Chess Bazaar page:

Chess Pieces Material: Ebonized Boxwood & Natural Boxwood

Chess Pieces Dimensions:

King Height - 2.6"(66 mm)King Base - 1.2"(32 mm)Pawn Height - 1.4"(36 mm) Pawn Base - 0.9"(23 mm)

Chess Board Material: Sheesham Wood (Dalbergia Sissoo)/ Boxwood (Gardenia latifolia)

Chess Board Dimensions:

Board - 12.5" X 12.5" (32 cm X 32 cm) Square - 1.57" X 1.57 " (40 mm X 40 mm)Board Thickness - 10 mm (0.39")

As a side note, the king base/square diameter ratios that are most commonly recommended make me feel like I'm taking crazy pills. The pieces on most of the sets I see posted on here look almost comically small compared to the board. Both this set and the set I posted on the previous page have king base/square diameter ratio of 80%. I can't imagine going any lower than that. The commonly recommended 75% looks ridiculous to me. Of course it's all personal preference, but I can't help but feel like a lot of people's preferences are INSANE lol. Just had to say that because it's always on my mind when I look at people's sets. But if you're happy with it, then I'm happy for you. Enjoy your tiny pieces wink.png

DesperateKingWalk

1950 Dubrovnik boxwood and ebony chess set on a maple and cherry chessboard.

BigFoxy90

As promised, here are some pics of my first Staunton set. Again, this is the Wild Knight Series set. I ordered it off of uscf.com and I am very pleased considering it makes any board I've owned before look like garbage. I went with the natural boxwood and natural rosewood for the pieces. I started running some lines as soon as I set it up and instantly fell in love with the look of the pieces and the smooth feel as you move them across the board. I'm happy to share these with you and I hope you enjoy looking at this beauty as much as I do. Very proud of this. 😊

Best vibes as always!

Powderdigit

Lovely. Enjoy the best vibes. ✌️

DesperateKingWalk

A great chessboard and chess set combination. Nicely done!

hermanjohnell
BigFoxy90 wrote:

As promised, here are some pics of my first Staunton set.

Well, you´ll never NEED another set but... Congrats!

DesperateKingWalk

A NEED is such a subjective term. I have about 120 large chessboard and chess piece combinations. But I still need more. I think I NEED at least 365 combinations of large chessboard and chess sets. So I do not have to use the same chess set combination twice in one year...cry

Here we have a 1959 Zagreb on a maple and blackwood chessboard. The 1960 Tal chess set on a maple and cherry chessboard. And the Staunton Lasker chess set on a burl and ebony chessboard.

natteh

@DesperateKingWalk thank you for posting this, as it makes me feel so much better about my own situation! grin.png

Ibuildchess
DesperateKingWalk wrote:

1950 Dubrovnik boxwood and ebony chess set on a maple and cherry chessboard.

A lovely set and board, not to take away from it (because it is lovely) but the wood for the dark squares is most assuredly not cherry. Looking at the coarser grain: I would call it Jatoba, which is commonly referred to as "Brazilian Cherry". Given this colloquial name I can see how one might make the decision to call it cherry, but cherry it is not!

ChessboArt

I will join the discussion. I make such chess pieces and chessboard by myself in Poland.
My Chessboard Michał Fudalej

www.ChessboArt.com and Michał Fudalej

The idea is to do it professionally, but I still need to work on sales.

My web site: www.Chessboart.com

I have patience for chess and wood.
I guess I must have different predispositions to sell. I will be grateful for every good idea happy.png