Reproduction and Real Jaques of London Chess Set

loubalch

With respect to ebony, I think it all comes down to conditioning. If Jacques had made the original Staunton set using striped ebony (still a very beautiful wood) that would be the de facto standard today.

crusaderwabbet

Lighter striped ebony can be dyed jet black.

IpswichMatt

Thanks EfimLG47. 

IpswichMatt

Anyone know why this box, for a Jaques library size set - but no pieces - went for so much? £147 for a damaged box - is this a rare label or something?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaques-amp-Sons-Antique-Wooden-Chess-Box-Casket-only-For-Repair-Staunton-Set-/154017957695?hash=item23dc2f873f%3Ag%3A1LcAAOSwpDNfGZiJ&nma=true&si=sEpLrF7letKDlAD%252BRkc79KJr51A%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

jcousins1

nothing rare about that one

Audioq

Maybe someone has a set with no box and adding a box would increase the value of the overall package by more than £147? Only reason I can think of.

IpswichMatt
Yes that’s why I was bidding! I have a library sized set without a box, so I bid £50 and also thought I was bidding too much. Paid about £120 for that set I think.
Thanks for the replies jcousins1 and audioq
Prince_of_Bohemia

New Jaques reproduction set from Chess Bazaar. I like it a lot. What do you guys think?
https://www.chessbazaar.com/reproduced-1875-80-vintage-zukertort-staunton-weighted-chessmen-in-ebony-box-wood-with-king-side-stamping-3-5-king.html

EZY1981

😂😂😂

Audioq
Prince_of_Bohemia wrote:

Those knights look like they are going to topple over at any minute. Nowhere close to Frank's old timeless reproduction.

AceFrawley
Audioq wrote:
Prince_of_Bohemia wrote:

Those knights look like they are going to topple over at any minute. Nowhere close to Frank's old timeless reproduction.

Yeah, not a fan of the knights either and the rooks look too short.

azbobcat
Audioq wrote:
Prince_of_Bohemia wrote:

Agree. Chess Bazaar makes decent sets but nothing like HoS or OS. If I'm going to plunk down that sort of money I might as well save a few more shillings and get a better set. I simply don't like listing knights.

Prince_of_Bohemia

Here is the old timeless set from HoS:

magictwanger

In defense of Chessbazaar,though I had my share of aggravation,though all cleared up......

They are definitely capable of producing a superbly well made set!....My Glossy Empire Staunton Pieces were as close to my NOJ pieces as could be.Not quite as ne' plus ultra,but really good.

This was my last set I had gotten from C.B. and it was a nice surprise to see the quality.

Audioq

Actually, I was thinking of this version which I think was the original released in a 4" King.

Prince_of_Bohemia
Audioq wrote:

Actually, I was thinking of this version which I think was the original released in a 4" King.

That's very nice indeed!

Prince_of_Bohemia

Chessbaazar will release Dubrovnik 3.0 set soon. In my opinion they are getting better and better. I really think this Zukertort reporo is quite good. I might purchase it for Xmas to honour the grandmaster from my city, Breslau / Wroclaw. 

Prince_of_Bohemia

This might be new. From Staunton Castle.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1921-Edition-4-Reproduction-Antiqued-wood-and-Ebony-Chess-Pieces-with-FREE-Box-/233164371743

Reminds me of a 1929 set from Official Staunton