Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

The 1966 Havana Olympiad Chessmen by Official Staunton

Check out the YouTube video on this fabulous set:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGFQbz3Hhc&t=53s

It is such a perfect set, I have being talking about it for years now in this forums...

Is that 40% coupon still working?

Sadly I think that discount's over. I read about it here when it was still going on but about to end, I think. I would have bought something, had it not been for the fact that my girlfriend and I've recently moved into an appartment and we've had a bunch of costs anyhow. I was really tempted though. This particular set seems very nice to me, although I'm not sure how I feel about the antiquing anymore. I have OS' 3,5 inch king set, and while the antiquing is nice, somehow the antiqued pieces don't feel as smooth to the touch to me as normal, polished boxwood pieces. I'm a tactile person and I can say that that actually bothers me when I play, enough so that I don't use that set as often anymore. I do hope they change that.

@maik1988 - Which set do you have? I have one of these and the antiqued pieces are as smooth as baby's you know what. 

https://www.officialstaunton.com/collections/value-chess-sets/products/steinitz-european-anegre-root-wood-chess-set

Wow! This is truly beautiful handwork! happy.png 

@ Rsava: I have these https://www.officialstaunton.com/collections/chess-pieces/products/library-3-5-antiqued-and-ebony-chessmen. The white army though, as I tried explaining in the previous post, does have a bit more of a 'terra cotta'  sort of feel to it, which, I'm assuming, is from the process they used to antique with. This has very possibly been mitigated in more recent sets and the sets that have OS' new antiquing. Fanstastic design on the set I have though, one of the reasons I'll never give it up completely.

Great review, Mike!
    cgrau wrote:
    Great review, Mike!

Thanks Chuck, and thanks to you and Carl  for making this gorgeous historical set possible. 

I received mine a few days ago along with the mahogany framed chess board.  This is a very fine set.  The finishing is superb, and it looks and handles like a dream.  I also own the antiqued 1851 set.  The antiquing of the Havana set is lighter than that of the 1851.  The Havana is more of a golden honey color while the 1851 is decidedly darker and browner, reflecting a greater "age".      

The board is also stunning, displaying beautiful grain and excellent contrast.  It has a slightly higher finish than any of my other boards, and while by no means a glossy finish, it's enough to give it an air of refinement.  The Havana 1966 pieces and this board make a great pair.

Here is a quick photo of my setup.  This is my first photo upload I've submitted to the board.  It's not a great photo, but will have to do for now.  I've already become acutely aware of how difficult it is to take good photos of chess equipment. 

null

Hello fellows, I was wondering why nobody had recreated the H66 chess set yet!

I do know something about it from reading on the Internet.  It was stated that the King was unusually heavy. 

Questions:

1. I notice they are advertising an 84 gram sovereign, how close is that to the original?  What is the weight of a standard king? 

2. What kind of box does it come with?

3. How close is the set to the original?  Did OS obtain an original set or did they go by pictures?

It is too bad that it is ebonized instead of using real wood; it cheapens the chess set dramatically!  Deal killer for me, I will wait and hope they come out with a real wood version in the future!  Looking forward to it happy.png

Thank you,

PC 

TXpatzer wrote:

I received mine a few days ago along with the mahogany framed chess board.  This is a very fine set.  The finishing is superb, and it looks and handles like a dream.  I also own the antiqued 1851 set.  The antiquing of the Havana set is lighter than that of the 1851.  The Havana is more of a golden honey color while the 1851 is decidedly darker and browner, reflecting a greater "age".      

The board is also stunning, displaying beautiful grain and excellent contrast.  It has a slightly higher finish than any of my other boards, and while by no means a glossy finish, it's enough to give it an air of refinement.  The Havana 1966 pieces and this board make a great pair.

Here is a quick photo of my setup.  This is my first photo upload I've submitted to the board.  It's not a great photo, but will have to do for now.  I've already become acutely aware of how difficult it is to take good photos of chess equipment. 

The antiquing is incredible. It is exactly the same tone as that on my Fischer-Lardy set from the sixties. Congratulations on a great combination.

PolarChess wrote:

I do know something about it from reading on the Internet.  It was stated that the King was unusually heavy. 

Questions:

1. I notice they are advertising an 84 gram sovereign, how close is that to the original?  What is the weight of a standard king? 

3. How close is the set to the original?  Did OS obtain an original set or did they go by pictures?

It is too bad that it is ebonized instead of using real wood; it cheapens the chess set dramatically!  Deal killer for me, I will wait and hope they come out with a real wood version in the future!  Looking forward to it

Thank you,

PC 

As I worked with Official Staunton to reproduce this set, I normally would answer your questions. But years ago, you blocked me without explanation, and after you asked me questions about another set about which I had posted, and I answered them, you ignored my request to unblock me. So please forgive me for respectfully declining to answer your questions. 

cgrau wrote:
    PolarChess wrote:

Questions:

It is too bad that it is ebonized instead of using real wood; it cheapens the chess set dramatically!  Deal killer for me, I will wait and hope they come out with a real wood version in the future!  Looking forward to it

Thank you,

PC 

As I worked with Official Staunton to reproduce this set, I normally would answer your questions. But years ago, you blocked me without explanation, and after you asked me questions about another set about which I had posted, and I answered them, you ignored my request to unblock me. So please forgive me for respectfully declining to answer your questions. 

And you Mr. Troll shall stay blocked for all time happy.png

PolarChess wrote:

Questions:

Thank you,

PC 

No idea what the original weighting was in the many different variations of the Havana set... however our artisans weighted appropriate to the style and size of the king we made in our version. 

We did not include a box with this set although I am aware the original was supplied with a box. 

Hopefully we got close to the original which was difficult as we went off images only. 

boxwood is real wood?  .... our ebonised sets finish are as good as ebony and certainly doesnt cheapen the set in anyway in my opinion 

PolarChess wrote:

And you Mr. Troll shall stay blocked for all time

@PolarChess, Now that's the pot calling the kettle black and no mistake. It's no wonder you only have one friend on this site, and why your postings, such as they are, garner little response. I can understand why you blocked me, because when you posted some supercilious nonsense in response to a reply on one of your threads, I let you have it with both barrels, but Chuck is a gentleman, and a long-time reviewer and contributor to this forum. You, sir, on the other hand, are neither.

Online Now